Celebrate Hanukkah with our delectable Potato Latkes! This classic dish is made with creamy, crunchy potatoes and topped with smoke salmon, capers, and Coho salmon roe to add a subtle sweetness. Cooked on the Yoder Smokers YS640s, this treat is sure to please any palate.
Potato Latkes are the perfect recipe for the Hanukkah season. Topped with smoke salmon, capers and coho salmon roe these creamy, crunchy potato pancakes pop with flavor. Chef Tom sheds some light on his techniques for making this savory and sweet holiday dish. Grilled on the Yoder Smokers YS640s.
- 1 lb Russet potatoes, peeled
- 1/2 each (8 oz) medium yellow onion, peeled
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp chives
- 2 tbsp Matzo meal
2 tsp Cattleman’s Grill Lone Star Texas Brisket Rub
Horseradish Creme Fraiche (or sour cream), RECIPE HERE
- Lox/Cold Smoked Salmon, sliced thin
- Salmon Roe Caviar
- Minced Red Onion
Cattleman’s Grill Everything Bagel Seasoning
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 500ºF, set up for direct grilling, second shelf removed. Push the damper into to concentrate the heat to the left side of the grill.
- Grate your potatoes and onion on the large size of a box grater. Place the grated potatoes and onion in a towel and twist to squeeze out the liquid.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and whisk to incorporate. Add the dried grated potatoes and onions to the bowl and toss by hand to mix. Let sit at least 10 minutes before frying.
- Place a Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet directly over the flame inside the grill. Add equal parts beef tallow and vegetable oil until there is about 1/4” melted fat in the skillet. Bring the mixture up to about 425ºF.
- Scoop one quarter cup of the latke mixture and carefully transfer to the skillet. Flatten out the edges of the latke, leaving it mounded in the center for a creamy interior with a super crunchy crust.
- Fry until just beyond golden brown, about 3 minutes per side, flipping to brown evenly.
- Remove from the skillet and transfer to a wire rack over a sheet pan to drain oil without becoming soggy.
- You can hold the latkes warm on the rack over the pan on the indirect side of the grill.
- Finish the latkes by serving them topped with your favorite toppings.
- Yields 6 latkes.
- Serving Size
- 9.17 oz
- per serving
- 26.7 grams
- 4.8 grams
- 6.2 grams
- 671 milligrams