Pork Belly Tacos Al Pastor
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill for Pork Belly Tacos Al Pastor. As good as the taqueria, but made right at home!
- 2 lbs pork belly, skin off, sliced into 2” X 1” X 1/8” pieces
Cattleman’s Grill Carne Asada 8 Second Ride
- Al Pastor marinade (recipe below)
- 2-3 cups pineapple, diced
- 1 white onion, minced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese, crumbled
- 12 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 oz (3-4) dried chipotle chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 1 oz (3-4) dried guajillo chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 7 oz (1 1/3 cup) Achiote paste
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 6 tbsp pineapple juice
- 6 tbsp apple cider vinegar
6 tbsp Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1/2 oz piloncillo (or brown or cane sugar)
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
2 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
1 tbsp Heat Maverick’s Where Did the Mango Hot Sauce (optional)
For the marinade:
- Place 8 flat bamboo skewers in a container large enough to allow them to lay flat and cover with water. Let soak while preparing the recipe.
- To make the marinade, toast the dried chiles in a Finex 12” Cast Iron Skillet on both sides until fragrant and slightly softened, about 30-60 seconds per side. Add hot water to the skillet to cover the chiles. Bring the water to a boil. Cover with a lid. Turn off the heat. Let soak for 15 minutes. Remove from the water and transfer the chiles to the pitcher of the Vitamix blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust salt level as desired.
- Combine the marinade and pork in a zip top bag or plastic container. Rub the marinade into the meat, making sure that there is marinade on all surfaces. Marinate in the refrigerator for an hour.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 495ºF, set up for direct grilling with GrillGrates on top of the standard grates on the right side of the grill. Remove the standard grates from the left side of the grill. When the grill comes up to temperature, side the GrillGrate panels over the to the left side of the grill.
- Remove the meat from the marinade, wiping off excess marinade. Thread the pork onto flat bamboo skewers. Season the pork with the Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning.
Turn the heat up to 500ºF to allow it to feed pellets constantly.
- Place the skewered pork on the GrillGrates and grill, flipping to char all sides. The pork is done when it is tender and can be torn off the skewer. Internal temperature will be over 170ºF. You can move the pork off of the GrillGrates to the right side of the grill to finish cooking over indirect heat after achieving the char you want on the surface.
- Remove the pork from the grill and dice into small pieces.
- Serve the pork wrapped in warm tortillas, with diced pineapple, red onions, cilantro and cotija cheese.
You might also enjoy: Steak and Bacon Breakfast Tacos
- Serving Size
- 6.13 oz
- per serving
- 18.3 grams
- 11.7 grams
- 54.3 grams
- 188 milligrams