Pheasant Tinga Quesataco (Tinga de Faisan)
Chicken Tinga is a delicious and popular Mexican dish comprised of shredded chicken in a tomato and chipotle sauce. This week Chef Tom shares his recipe for the Pheasant Tinga Quesataco, featuring pheasant meat braised in Tinga sauce, stuffed into tortillas with cheese and finished on the griddle in the Napoleon Prestige Gas Grill.
- 2 whole pheasants, quartered
- 4 pheasant thighs
Cattleman’s Grill Butcher House Brine
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
1 1/2 cups (14 oz) Ciao Italian Canned Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chipotles in adobo sauce
- 3 large cloves garlic, crushed, peeled
1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning
1 tbsp Colonial Chile Infused Oil
- 2 cups white onion, sliced thin
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
1/2 tsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt
- 12 corn tortillas or 8 flour tortillas
- 2 cup grated cheese (jack or Oaxaca)
- 1 cup Pico de Gallo
- Queso fresco
Flavolcano Smoky Red Pepper Hot Sauce
- Mix the Cattleman’s Grill Butcher House Brine with 5 quarts water in an 8 quart Briner bucket. Add the pheasant and brine overnight.
- Combine chicken stock, Ciao Italian Canned Tomatoes, chipotles in adobo, garlic and Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning in the Vitamix Blender. Blend until smooth.
- Preheat your Staub 4 Quart Enamel Dutch Oven on the side burner of a Napoleon Prestige 500RSIB-3 over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp Colonial Chile Infused Oil, then the sliced onion, Mexican oregano and 1/2 tsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, just until the onions begin to soften.
- Add the quartered pheasants to the dutch oven. Pour the Tinga sauce from the blender over the pheasants and onions.
- Cover with a lid and cook until the pheasant meat reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the pheasant from the sauce. Let cool slightly.
- Preheat the main cooking chamber over medium heat, with a Napoleon cast iron griddle in place of the regular grates.
Remove the meat from the bones. Shred the meat by hand. Add the Tinga sauce and onions to the shredded to shredded pheasant, a little at a time, until you reach your desired consistency.
- To make a quesataco, dip a corn tortilla in the left over Tinga sauce (from the dutch oven), coating one side with the sauce. Place the tortilla on the griddle, sauced side down. Fill with shredded cheese and pheasant Tinga. Top with pico de gallo. Close up the tortilla and cook, flipping to brown and crisp both sides of the taco. Serve with Flavolcano and queso fresco.
You might also enjoy: Birria on the Grill
- Serving Size
- 9.33 oz
- per serving
- 24 grams
- 30.5 grams
- 15 grams
- 624 milligrams