This is a method I picked up form Oliver Sievier and the number 1 BBQ team in the world last time I was in Germany. The strip loin is subjected to the best of low and slow bark building and direct fast searing. The mayonnaise-based sauce sear creates a crust and flavor profile second to none. Enjoy!
- Chef Gephart
New York Strip Steak
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
1 hour 30 minutes
Savor the tender, juicy flavor of our strip loin, cooked low and slow to bring out its full flavor potential, then finished with a searing mayonnaise-based sauce to create an unbeatable crust.
- Stabilize your grill at 300° F. Place your hickory chunk in the hottest portion of the coals. Once you reach combustion, install your SloRoller.
- Trim the strip loin so any thick fat cap covering is no thicker than ¼ inch. Using a sharp knife, cut a diamond pattern across the entire top of the strip loin.
- Season the entire loin liberally with Lane’s BBQ Scorpion Seasoning as if you were cooking a prime rib.
- Place the trimmed and seasoned strip loin fat cap side down and close the lid for 45 minutes. Flip the strip loin and smoke for another 30 minutes or until you reach an internal temperature of 115° F.
- Transfer the strip loin to a cutting board and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes. While the strip is resting, reset your grill for direct cooking and bank the charcoal pile to one side creating a high heat sear zone. Leave the dome up and draft door fully open to provide max air flow. By the end of the rest, your grill should be at a searing temperature of 550°+.
- Cut the Strip loin into thick steaks, roughly 12-16 ounces.
- Season and sauce the newly revealed sides that have not seen smoke then blast sear each steak until it reaches an internal temp of 125-130F. Feel free to roll the steaks around on the grill surface after the initial sear to ensure on side does not get burnt.
- Transfer the steaks to the cutting board and slice at a slight angle into ¼ inch thick pieces being sure to cut across the grain.
- Serve with the remaining AP Sauce for dipping.
- Serving Size
- 6.44 oz
- per serving
- 1 grams
- 50 grams
- 44 grams
- 4536 milligrams