Impress your guests with this deliciously homemade pastrami! Be your own master chef by mixing a flavorful brine, preparing your own pickling spice blend, and generously coating with fragrant peppercorns and coriander seeds. Aromatic and savory, every bite of your homemade pastrami will be worth the effort!
1 beef brisket flat
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp red chile flakes
- 1 tbsp allspice berries
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground mace
- 1 small cinnamon stick, crushed
- 2 bay leaves, broken in to pieces
- 1 gallon water
3/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp pink salt (sodium nitrite)
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp pickling spice
- ***Depending on the size of your brisket, and the container in which you are brining, you may need to multiply this recipe. You will need enough brine to cover the brisket in the brining container.
1/4 cup black peppercorns, toasted, coarsely ground
- 1/4 cup coriander seeds, toasted, coarsely ground
- n a dry hot skillet, toast the coriander, peppercorns and mustard seeds just until fragrant. Be careful not to burn them. Crack the spices on a cutting board, under a heavy pan.
- Combine the toasted spices with the remaining spices. Store in a sealed container.
- Combine all brine ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil and stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled.
- Place brisket in the brining liquid. Weigh it down with plates to make sure it is fully submerged. Refrigerate for 3 days.
- Remove brisket from brine, and rinse thoroughly under cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. Coat the brisket with the rub, and store in the refrigerator uncovered overnight.
Set your Yoder Smokers YS650 for indirect cooking and bring the temperature to 250°F. Smoke the brisket until internal temperature reaches 160°F (check internal temperature with an instant read thermometer like the Maverick PT-75).
Double wrap the brisket in foil or butchers paper, and continue smoking until internal temperature reaches 205°F.
- Allow meat to rest half an hour. Slice thinly and serve.
This recipe was prepared on a Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Grill.
- Serving Size
- 4 oz
- per serving
- 10 grams
- 99 grams
- 63 grams
- 3728 milligrams