Grilled Chicken & Black Bean Soup
Shake off the chill with a bowl of Grilled Chicken & Black Bean Soup, prepared over a charcoal fire in the Kamado Joe Classic III Ceramic Grill.
- 1/2 chicken
Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning
2 tbsp Colonial Chile Infused Oil
- 8 oz Mexican chorizo
- 2 cups yellow onion, small dice
- 1 cup carrots, small dice
- 1 cup poblano peppers, seeded, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 (16 oz) cans black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup queso fresco OR cotija cheese
- Mexican crema or sour cream for garnish
- Preheat your Kamado Joe Classic II to 400ºF, set up for direct grilling, with a cast iron half moon griddle in place.
- Season the chicken with Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning under the skin, and all over the meat.
- Grill the chicken on the griddle until the internal temperature reaches 155ºF in the deepest part of the breast. Remove from the grill. Pull the skin from the meat and the meat from the bones. Discard the bones. Mince the skin and reserve. Shred the chicken by hand.
- Stabilize the grill temperature at 350ºF.
- Place a Staub 4 Quart Dutch Oven in the grill to preheat.
- Add the 2 tbsp Colonial Chile Infused Oil. Add the chorizo, onion, carrot and poblano. Cook until the onions are translucent and carrots are tender, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic. Cook for one minute, stirring.
- Add the beans and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Transfer 2/3 of the soup to a blender. Blend until smooth. Note: Be very careful blending hot liquids. Start slowly until you’re certain the liquid won’t explode out of the blender. Transfer the blended soup back to the dutch oven with the chunky soup.
Add the chicken to the soup. Bring to a simmer. Thin with water to desired consistency. Remove from the heat. Add the cilantro.
- Crisp the minced chicken skin on the griddle.
- Serve the Grilled Chicken & Black Bean Soup topped with crumbled cheese, minced cilantro, crispy chicken skin and a drizzle of sour cream.
You might also enjoy: Chili Blanco
- Serving Size
- 11.56 oz
- per serving
- 79 grams
- 39 grams
- 26 grams
- 733 milligrams