Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill for Pozole Rojo featuring grilled pork shoulder, an earthy red chile sauce and plenty of hominy!
Grill up an authentic Mexican meal with Chef Tom's Pozole Rojo recipe! Featuring juicy grilled pork shoulder and a vibrant red chile sauce, this classic stew is sure to delight your taste buds.
- 3 lb Boston butt pork shoulder, sliced into 1/2” thick slabs
Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning
- 1 medium white onion, sliced thin
- 2 1/2 - 3 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning
- 2 (29 oz) cans white hominy, drained, rinsed
Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Flaked Finishing Salt, to taste
- 5 guajillo chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 5 ancho chiles, stems and seeds removed
- 5 arbol chiles, stems removed
- 1 medium white onion, quartered
- 6 medium garlic cloves
- 1 tsp dry Mexican oregano
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 bunch radishes, washed, thin sliced
- Limes, cut into wedges
- Cotija cheese
For the red sauce:
For the garnish:
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Grill to 500ºF, set up for direct grilling with GrillGrates installed over the fire box.
- Grill the quartered white onion for the red chile sauce over direct heat until slightly charred on all sides and softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the grill and dice. Reserve for the red chile sauce.
- Season your thin sliced pork butt with Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning. Grill over direct heat until charred. Flip and repeat. Remove from the grill. Dice the pork into bite sized pieces.
- To make the sauce, place the chiles in a hot dry Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet over medium high heat (on induction burner or stovetop) and toast until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds each side. Add enough water to cover the chiles and place a lid on the skillet. Let soak for at least 20 minutes.
- When the chiles have softened, remove from the water, but do not discard the water. Remove and stems and seeds from the chiles. Transfer the flesh to a food processor or blender. Add the remaining red sauce ingredients, except for the oil. Process until smooth, adding some of the reserved soaking water to help smooth out the sauce.
- Place a Lodge 7 Quart Dutch Oven on the GrillGrates inside the grill. Add the vegetable oil, then the red sauce to the dutch oven. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Add the diced pork and thin sliced onions. Stir to incorporate. Add the hominy, chicken or vegetable stock and Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning. Bring to a simmer. Move the dutch oven away from the direct heat of the fire box and continue to simmer until the pork is tender, about 30-60 minutes.
- Taste and season with Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Flaked Finishing Salt, to taste.
- Serve the Pozole Rojo in soup bowls with your desired garnishes.
- Serving Size
- 8.25 oz
- per serving
- 11.3 grams
- 62.3 grams
- 44.2 grams
- 415 milligrams