Chef Tom fires up the Kamado Joe Kettle Joe for an easy Garden Fresh Grilled Flatbread featuring charcoal grilled dough, herbed smoked cream cheese and a whole garden's worth of fresh and quick pickled veggies!
Garden Fresh Grilled Flatbread
Enjoy the delicious flavor of Garden Fresh grilled flatbread. Made from scratch, each bite features a crispy outer layer and a soft, fluffy interior. Perfect for appetizers or a light snack.
- 325g (1 cup 7 tbsp) warm water (110ºF)
5g (1 1/2 tsp) Caputo Dry Yeast
500g (3 1/4 cup) Antimo Caputo “00” Pizza Flour
10g (1 tbsp) Jacobsen Kosher Sea Salt
4 oz block Italian smoked cream cheese (recipe here)
- (2 oz goat cheese), optional
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, minced
- 1 tbsp dill, minced
- 2 cloves Garlic, crushed, peeled
- Tomatoes, sliced 1/2” thick
- Quick pickled veggies (recipe below)
- 2 cups cucumbers, jalapeños, carrots, onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust All Purpose Seasoning
1 tsp Noble Saltworks Maple Smoked Turbinado Sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed, peeled
For the flatbread dough:
For the herbed cream cheese:
For the toppings:
Quick pickled veggies:
- To make the quick pickles, place the cucumbers, jalapeños and sliced onion in a pint sized mason jar.
- Combine the 3/4 cup water, vinegar, Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust All Purpose Seasoning, Noble Saltworks Maple Smoked Turbinado Sugar and garlic in a small pot. Bring to a simmer. Pour over the onions in the jar. Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. The onions will be ready to eat after a couple of hours, but best overnight.
- To make the herbed cream cheese, combine all ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth.
- To make the dough, pour the warm water into the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the yeast over the water. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the flour, then the salt. With the mixer fitted with the hook attachment, mix on medium-low (2nd gear on the KitchenAid) until a ball is formed, about 1 minute. Once all ingredients are incorporated and a ball is formed mix 8 minutes. Transfer to an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in size.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and divide into 2 equal portions. Roll each half into a ball, place in an oiled container. Cover. Refrigerate at least half an hour before use. On a floured work surface, stretch the dough thin.
- While the dough is rising, and before stretching, build a hot coal bed using lump charcoal and fire starters in the ceramic lined fire box of the Kamado Joe Kettle Joe.
- Set up the grill for direct grilling (no SloRoller or deflector in place). The coals should be glowing hot and ambient temperature over 450ºF.
- Toss the broccolini in some olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill over the hot coals until charred at the edges and softened. Remove from the grill and chop into bite sized pieces.
- Place the stretched flatbread dough directly on the grates over the hot charcoal. Cook until browned and bubbling up. Flip and cook until slightly crispy and cooked through. Remove from the grill.
- To assemble the flatbread, spread the herbed cream cheese over the surface of the flatbread. Top with fresh tomato slices, grilled broccolini and quick pickled veggies. Slice and serve.
- Serving Size
- 14.9 oz
- per serving
- 105 grams
- 18 grams
- 4 grams
- 1547 milligrams