Everything Focaccia Grilled Cheese
Chef Britt is fired up about The Big Game and shares her super simple recipe for Everything Focaccia, then flips it inside out and shows you her techniques for the perfect grilled cheese! This is the perfect appetizer or snack recipe that’s ready to feed a crowd!
- 2 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp + 1/4 tsp active dry or instant yeast
5 cups '00' Antimo Caputo Chef's Flour
1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 cup Olive oil, plus more as needed
Everything Seasoning, as needed
- 1 lb Muenster cheese, or cheese of your preference
- Mayonnaise, as needed
For the dough:
To build the Grilled Cheese:
To make the Everything Focaccia:
- Assemble your mixer with bread making attachments.
- Place water, sugar, yeast together and mix on medium speed until dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, add salt into flour.
- Add Olive Oil into the mixer, followed by one cup of the flour mixture.
- Mix on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
- Continually add one cup of flour at a time while the mixer is turning until all flour is fully incorporated, and your dough is homogeneous in texture.
- Oil the sides of a large bowl or container for the dough to proof in. Transfer the dough and cover the container with a lid, plastic wrap, or a damp towel.
- Proof at room temp for one hour to an hour and a half, or doubled in size.
- Prepare your 18″ x 13″ sheet pan by coating with a generous amount of olive oil, making sure to rub it in everywhere, including the sides and corners of the pan.
- Once the dough has doubled in size, oil your hands and give the dough a couple folds. This step is to evenly distribute any areas where the yeast is warmer or more active than other areas. It will also encourage some gluten development.
- Transfer your dough to the prepared sheet pan, drizzle more oil over the dough, and begin to gently push and stretch the dough out to begin filling out the pan. Be careful not to tear the dough while stretching. Use as much oil as needed to ease this process.
- Once the dough is stretched over 2/3 of the pan, coat with more oil and allow to proof at room temp for another hour. It is important here that the dough is well coated with oil, as to avoid it from drying out while it proofs.
- Preheat your Yoder Smoker (or grill of choice) to 400°F.
- When the dough is ready, it will have relaxed into the remainder of the pan. Oil your hands again and punch your fingers evenly across the surface of the dough.
- From here generously sprinkle the top of the focaccia with the Cattleman's Grill Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Bake on the grill on either top rack or away from direct heat source. Bake for 30-35 minutes, rotating halfway through if necessary.
To assemble and make the grilled cheese:
- Slice muenster cheese into 1/8″ slices. Preheat a griddle to a medium-low setting.
- Once the focaccia is properly cooled, remove from the pan and slice the bread into quarters before taking each quarter and slicing them lengthwise down the center of each quarter.
- Then assemble the grilled cheese by flipping the sandwich inside out: meaning the interior crumb of the bread will now be the exterior of the sandwich, and vice versa. This gives you maximum flavor by allowing the pale interior crumb of the bread to toast.
- Assemble grilled cheese by placing muenster into the center of the sandwich slabs.
- Smear a thin layer of mayonnaise on the outside of the sandwich slabs.
- Cook over medium-low heat until the exterior of the sandwich is crispy,
golden-brown, and the cheese begins to melt. About 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Slice into desired shapes and serve immediately.
- Serving Size
- 3.07 oz
- per serving
- 26 grams
- 9 grams
- 14 grams
- 709 milligrams