Experience the full flavor of Chinese Barbecue Pork Char Siu with the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill. Infused with rice wine, fermented red bean curd and Chinese 5 spice, this smoky, sweet, salty and savory dish will have your taste buds singing!
Chinese Barbecue Pork Char Siu
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill for Chinese Barbecue Pork Char Siu. Smoky, sweet, salty & savory, this one checks all the boxes!
- 5 lb pork butt (or belly)
Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub
1 1/2 cups Kim’s Asian BBQ Sauce
1 cup Reida Farm Red Pepper Honey, DIVIDED
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
- 1/2 cup Fermented Red Bean Curd (tofu cubes & sauce)
- 2 tsp Chinese five spice
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup ginger, minced
For the marinade/glaze:
- Combine all marinade ingredients in the Vitamix Blender. Add only 3/4 cup of the Reida Farm Red Pepper Honey. Save the remaining 1/4 cup for later. Blend until smooth.
- Reserve one cup of the marinade. Store in the refrigerator. Pour the remaining marinade into an 8 quart Briner Bucket.
- Cut the pork into 3” thick strips and place in the Briner Bucket with the marinade. Let soak overnight.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 350ºF, set up for indirect grilling.
- Remove the pork from the marinade. Wipe off excess marinade from the surface of the pork.
- Season the pork on all sides with Plowboys BBQ Yardbird Rub.
- Roast the pork on the second shelf of the grill for one hour.
- After one hour, mix your one cup of reserved marinade with the remaining 1/4cup of Reida Farm Red Pepper Honey. Whisk well to combine. Using a silicon brush, baste the pork with the glaze.
- Repeat the glazing every 30 minutes until the pork has reached an internal temperature of 195ºF (total cook time: about 2-2.5 hours).
- Remove from the grill. Rest the Char Siu 15 minutes before slicing to serve.
- Serving Size
- 4 oz
- per serving
- 22 grams
- 89 grams
- 56 grams
- 707 milligrams