Cattleman's Steak Sandwich
When our friends at Cattleman’s Grill asked us to come up with a killer steak sandwich recipe it was a no-brainer. We use the Cattleman’s Grill rubs more than any other when it comes to grilling steaks around here. This recipe is built around the earthy flavors of their Smoky Chipotle Coffee Steak Rub. The coffee flavor works great with the smoky spice of the chipotle, which we’ve amped up with the steak marinade and the aioli on the sandwich.
- Flat iron steak
Sweetwater Spice Ancho Chipotle Brisket Bath
Cattleman’s Grill Smoky Chipotle Coffee Steak Rub
- Baguette, sliced horizontally
- Sharp white cheddar, slices
- Baby romaine lettuce
- Heirloom tomato, sliced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp adobo sauce
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (don’t use olive oil)
For the chipotle aioli:
- Marinate the flat iron in Sweetwater Spice Ancho Chipotle Brisket Bath for one hour, under refrigeration. Meanwhile, make the chipotle aioli. Combine all aioli ingredients except oil in a food processor. Process to purée ingredients, then with the processor running add the oil very slowly until it’s all incorporated.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 to 450°F, set up for direct grilling with your GrillGrates over the firebox.
- Remove the steak from the marinade. Season generously on both sides with Cattleman’s Grill Smoky Chipotle Coffee Steak Rub. Using the GrillGrates, grill the steak on both sides until slightly charred, then move to the steak to an area of indirect heat. Continue cooking until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the steak reaches 125°F. While the steak cooks, toast your baguette by placing the cut sides to the GrillGrates. Remove the steak from the grill, tent with foil and rest for 5 minutes. Slice the steak thin, against the grain.
- Build your sandwich: Spread the aioli on the bun then top with the steak, cheese, lettuce and tomato.
If you’re grilling high heat, there is no better way to get great grill marks and char than via GrillGrates. The anodized aluminum sucks up the heat from the Yoder Smoker’s firebox and disperses it evenly along the topside of the grates.
We thinly sliced the flat iron steak after grilling it to medium rare to make sure the meat is tender and juicy, but thin enough to easily bite through on a sandwich.
- Serving Size
- 8.79 oz
- per serving
- 17 grams
- 66 grams
- 43 grams
- 339 milligrams