Carne Asada Fries
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill for Carne Asada Fries featuring french fries piled high with toppings like grilled, marinated flank steak, creamy queso blanco, guacamole and more!
- 1 bag frozen fries
2-3 tbsp beef tallow, melted
- Cattleman's Grill California Tri-Tip Seasoning, finely ground
1 Creekstone Farms Prime Flank Steak, pounded thin
- Marinade (below)
- Garlic-Lime Crema (below)
- Guacamole (below)
- Queso Blanco (below)
- Cotija or queso fresco, for garnish
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Lime wedges, for garnish
1/2 cup Sweetwater Spice Tres Chiles
- 1/4 cup water
2 tbsp Colonial Chile Infused Oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated on microplane
- Water, as needed
- 2 small avocados
3 tbsp Holmes Made Marty’s Green Chile Salsa
- 3 tbsp cilantro, minced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
Jacobsen Habanero Salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz) American cheese, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup (6 oz) Queso Chihuahua, grated
- 1/4 cup pickled jalapeños, minced
- 1 tbsp pickled jalapeno juice
1 tbsp Heat Maverick’s Jalapeño Vice Hot Sauce
For the Marinade:
For the Garlic-Lime Crema:
For the Guacamole:
For the Queso Blanco:
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 450ºF, set up for direct grilling with GrillGrates grilling panels over the fire box.
- Pound your flank steak thin (about 1/2”- 3/4” thickness). Combine all ingredients for the marinade and whisk. Place the marinade and thin pounded steak in a vacuum bag (if you have a chamber vacuum, otherwise place in a zip-top bag). Vac seal the bag and marinate for 45-60 minutes.
- Toss your frozen fries in the melted beef tallow and season with Creekstone Farms California Tri-Tip Seasoning. Spread out in a single even layer on a parchment lined sheet pan. Transfer the pan to grill. Cook on the GrillGrates directly over the fire. Cook, tossing occasionally, until the fries are browned and crispy, about 45 minutes. Slide the pan to the right side of the grill (away from the fire) and crank the grill temperature up to 500ºF.
- While the fries cook, prepare the guacamole. Combine all ingredients in a zip top bag. Seal the bag and smash and mix to combine. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Also prepare the crema. Combine ingredients in a bowl and whisk. Transfer to a squeeze bottle. Store in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Scale the ingredients for the Queso Blanco so that you’re ready to cook the queso while the steak is on the grill later.
- Remove the steak from the marinade. Transfer directly to the got GrillGrates.
- While the steak is cooking, prepare the queso. Pour the milk into a Finex 10” Cast Iron Skillet over medium high heat. Bring to a simmer. Begin adding the cheeses, one handful at a time, whisking constantly. Add more cheese as it melts into the liquid. When all cheeses are melted, lower the heat to low. Whisk in the pickled jalapeños, pickled jalapeño juice and Heat Maverick’s Jalapeño Vice Hot Sauce. Hold warm until ready to serve.
Flip the flank steak to get some grill marks and light char on both sides. Remove from the grill when the internal temperature reaches 125ºF-130ºF, about 12 minutes totat cook time.
- Remove the steak and fries from the grill. Dice the steak into very small pieces.
- Build your carne asada fries. Start with a base of fries. Layer on the steak, queso blanco, garlic-lime crema, crumbled cheese, guacamole and cilantro. Garnish with a lime wedge.
You might also enjoy: Carne Asada Cedar Planked Nachos
- Serving Size
- 8.85 oz
- per serving
- 24.7 grams
- 21.2 grams
- 31.4 grams
- 907 milligrams