Chef Tom cooks up one of our favorite recipes of all time… and if you’re looking for something a bit lighter for the New Year, this is the perfect dish!
Carne Asada Flank Steak with Chimichurri
Nothing says flavor like Chef Tom's smoked carne asada flank steak with chimichurri! Learn how to smoke the perfect steak on your grill.
- 1 flank steak
Sweetwater Spice Lime Jalapeño Fajita Bath Brine
Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 4 Poblano chiles
- 4 Anaheim chiles
- 1/4 sweet onion, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp capers
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
salt, to taste
- 1 head cauliflower
- pinch cumin
kosher salt, to taste
- 1-2 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- lime juice, to taste
For the Fire Roasted Chimichurri:
For the cauliflower rice:
Trim any silver skin from the surface of the flank steak. Submerge the steak in Sweetwater Spice Lime Jalapeño Fajita Bath Brine (and equal parts water). Let sit one hour for every pound of meat.
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 pellet grill to 500°F, set up for direct grill with GrillGrates over the firebox.
- To make the chimichurri, place all the chiles on the GrillGrates. Grill on all sides, until all sides are blackened. Place the chiles in a zip-top bag or bowl covered with plastic wrap. Allow the chiles to steam for 10-15 minutes. Remove from the bag/bowl. Peel the skins from the flesh. Scrape out the seeds. Discard the stem. You will only be using the flesh of the chiles.
- Place all the ingredients into the food processor. Pulse until all ingredients are chopped and well combined. Adjust consistency with more olive oil for a looser sauce. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
To make the cauliflower rice, cut the cauliflower florets away from the stem. Roughly chop the florets. Place in a food processor. Process until broken down into rice sized granules. Preheat a Lodge Logic 12” cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add a little olive oil. When the oil is hot add the cauliflower, cumin and a pinch of salt. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust salt, as necessary. Add the cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Remove the steak from the marinade. Remove excess liquid from the surface with a paper towel. Season with Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada. Grill the steak about 8 minutes each side, until internal temperature reaches 125°F. Let rest ten minutes. Slice thin, across the grain of the meat. Serve with fire roasted chimichurri and cauliflower rice.
- Serving Size
- 6.73 oz
- per serving
- 26 grams
- 77 grams
- 37 grams
- 1139 milligrams