Beer Braised Beef Cheek Blue Smoked Slaw
This recipe for Beer Braised Beef Cheek Blue Smoked Slaw seems to follow Chef Eric everywhere he goes, from backyard barbecues to his famous Kamado Joe Block Parties. It is a classic mash-up of flavors that undoubtedly becomes more than the sum of its parts.
- 1 beef cheek (3 pounds)
R Butts R Smokin' R Beef Rub
Code 3 Spices Sea Dog Rub
- 3 cups mayonnaise
- 1 red onion, small dice
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup whole grain mustard
- 1 1/2 cup white onion, large dice
- 3/4 cup carrot, large dice
- 3/4 cup celery, large dice
- favorite dark beer for braising (enough to cover)
Preheat your Kamado Joe Classic II for high heat and your grill grates at the lowest setting in your Divide and Conquer system.
Trim the beef cheek, removing any silver skin, fat and chewy tissue then season liberally with R Butts R Smokin' R Beef Rub. Place the beef cheek on your grill to get a nice sear on all sides. Once the beef cheek has nice color, remove it and place Cattleman's Grill Competition Smoking Wood Chunks, Cherry on the charcoal and place the deflector plates into the grill for smoking.
- While the grill stabilizes at 250º F prep the cabbage.
- Core the cabbage, and fill with the garlic mixture. Place the cabbage and the beef cheek back on the smoker and cook for two to three hours depending on the size of the cabbage. The outside of the cabbage should be bronzed and slightly softened.
Cut the smoked cabbage in half and let it cool for a few minutes. Using a sharp knife cut the cabbage into quarters and then into thin slices. Mix with the garlic mixture and the slaw dressing. Set aside.
Place your mirepoix (onion, carrot, and celery) into a Lodge 7-Quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven and place the beef cheek on top of it. Cover the mixture with your favorite dark beer and braise until the meat shreds with ease.
- Mix the beer braised beef cheek and blue smoked slaw well and serve.
You may also like: Beef Short Ribs
- Serving Size
- 7.9 oz
- per serving
- 23 grams
- 28 grams
- 25 grams
- 459 milligrams