Baked Broccoli & Beer Cheese
Chef Tom fires up the Alfa One Wood-Fired Oven for a match made in heaven, it's Baked Broccoli & Beer Cheese. Much like a gratin, this cheesy side dish is perfect for your next holiday dinner!
- 2 lb broccoli crowns, quartered
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup onion, coarse grated
- 1 clove garlic, fine grated
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 (12 oz) bottle light beer
- 1 cup half and half
2 tbsp Kozlik’s Dijon Classique Mustard
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup pecorino romano cheese, finely grated
Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust All Purpose Seasoning
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tbsp Colonial Chile Oil
1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Cajun Fusion Seasoning
Cajun Crunch Topping:
- Build a fire with small splits of oak wood in the center of the deck of an Alfa One Wood Fired Oven. When the fire breaks down to coals, slide off to the side of the deck. Sweep any debris from the center of the deck.
- Continue to add splits of oak to the coal bed to maintain an ambient temperature of about 600ºF.
- Place the quartered crown of broccoli in a Finex 12” Cast Iron Skillet. Cover with the lid and place on the deck of the oven. Cook for about 10 minutes. Remove the lid, then cook until tender and slightly charred, about 10 minutes more.
- Remove the skillet from the oven. Remove the broccoli from the skillet. Wipe the skillet out. Dice the broccoli.
- Place the skillet back in the oven to keep warm.
- To make the beer cheese base, start by melting the butter in the skillet. Add the onion and garlic and season with Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust All Purpose Seasoning. Cook until tender and starting to brown.
- Add the flour and stir until hydrated. Cook until the mixture begins to resemble wet sand and smells nutty, about two minutes.
- Slowly stir in the beer and whisk to break up any flour lumps. When the beer is entirely incorporated, do the same with the half and half.
- Add the Kozlik’s Dijon Classique Mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Bring the sauce up to a simmer.
- Whisk in the cheeses, a handful at a time, waiting to add more until the last addition has melted.
- Combine the beer cheese base with the diced broccoli in a mixing bowl. Toss to coat.
- Divide the broccoli and beer cheese mixture among 8 oz mason jars, or ramekins, filling ALMOST to the top.
- Combine the ingredients for the Cajun Crunch Topping in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the Cajun Crunch Topping evenly among the individual servings, sprinkling on top of the broccoli & beer cheese.
- Load the ramekins onto a small sheet pan (for easy transfer in/out of the oven), and cover with a sheet of foil. Load the pan into the Alfa One, and slide to the side of the deck opposite the fire.
Maintain an ambient temperature of about 450ºF during this portion of the cook, adding splits of wood as needed.
- Cook for about 20 minutes, until the broccoli & beer cheese are warmed through and bubbling around the edges. Remove the foil and continue cooking until the Cajun Crunch Topping is browned, about 5 minutes more.
- Remove the Baked Broccoli & Beer Cheese from the oven and serve warm.
You might also enjoy: Brussels Sprouts Gratin
- Serving Size
- 5.68 oz
- per serving
- 16 grams
- 10 grams
- 17 grams
- 307 milligrams