Reverse Seared Duck Breasts
- By Tom Jackson
- Dec 20, 2022
These Reverse Seared Duck Breasts cook like chicken, but eat like steak! Chef Tom smokes this bird on the Yoder Smokers YS480s Pellet Grill low and slow, and finishes it with a high heat sear, basted in duck fat and finished with a sweet and tangy honey mustard sauce.
- 4 duck breasts, boneless, skin on
- Cattleman’s Grill Road House Beef & Steak Seasoning
Honey Musard Sauce:
- 1 tbsp Kozlik’s Triple Crunch Pickled Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Kozlik’s Dijon Classique Mustard
- 1 tbsp Reida Farm Kansas Wildflower Honey
- 1 tbsp Duke’s mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Heat Maverick’s Anti Gravity Hot Sauce
For the veggies:
- 2 cups baby potatoes, halved, parboiled until tender
- 2 Ciopollini onions, peeled, quartered
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms
- 1 cup purple cauliflower
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS480s Pellet Grill to 150ºF, set up for smoking.
Season the duck breasts with Cattleman’s Grill Road House Beef & Steak Seasoning. Transfer to the second shelf of the smoker.
Smoke breasts for one hour, skin side down.
While the duck smokes, combine all ingredients for the honey mustard sauce. Whisk well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Remove duck breasts from the grill. Remove the second shelf. Remove the diffuser door. Increase the grill temperature to 600ºF.
Score the skin of the duck breasts. Place the breasts skin side down in a cool Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet. Place the skillet directly over the flame.
Within minutes of searing the duck, the fat will begin to render out of the skin. Baste the breasts with the duck fat, using a spoon and tilting the skillet. This will coat the breasts in the fat and begin to cook them from the top down, as well.
| You might also enjoy: Smoked Duck Confit
Continue cooking until the breasts reach an internal temperature of 125ºF, about 10 minutes. Flip the breasts to the meat side and cook for less than one minute. Remove them from the grill.
Transfer the breasts to a plate and cover to rest.
| You might also enjoy: Duck Fat Smashed Potatoes
Pour off all but a few tablespoons of duck fat from the skillet. Add the veggies to the skillet and roast until softened, stirring/tossing occasionally.
Slice and serve the reverse seared duck breasts over the veggies. Drizzle with the honey mustard sauce.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Cattleman's Grill Road House Steak and Beef RubAs low as
- Kozlik's Dijon Classique$8.99
- Reida Honey Farm Raw Wildflower HoneyAs low as
- BBQr's Delight Wood Pellets, 20lb BagAs low as
- Lodge 12" Cast Iron Skillet$29.95
- Boos Block Maple Cutting Board with ATBBQ Logo, 20" x 15" x 1.5"$99.99
- Fireboard Spark Instant-Read Thermometer$149.00
- Chef Works Bronx Bib Apron$39.99