Instant Pot Lengua Tacos with Salsa Verde
- By Britt Shoffner
- Feb 13, 2020
The instant pot is the easiest way to cook this less-than-conventional cut of beef and Chef Britt pressure-cooks it in a flavorful braise, slices it up, and sears it hot! She also shows you her easiest recipe for charred salsa verde!
Instant Pot Lengua Tacos with Salsa Verde Recipe
For the Lengua:
- 1 beef tongue
- 1/2 cup Sweetwater Spice Co. Ancho Chipotle Brisket Bath
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1 large white onion (or two small white onions), rough chop
For the Charred Salsa Verde:
- One small white onion, quartered
- 2 large poblano peppers
- 3/4 lb tomatillos, husks removed
- 1/2 cup Sweetwater Spice Co. Lime Jalapeño Fajita Bath
- Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Rub and Taco Seasoning, as needed
- White onion, minced
- Cilantro, minced
To make the lengua:
- Combine 1/2 cup of Sweetwater Spice Co. Ancho Chipotle Brisket Bath with 1 1/2 cups of water, place into an electric pressure cooker with the entire beef tongue.
- On a standard meat/stew setting, pressure-cook the lengua for about 20 minutes per pound.
- Once the cook has finished, allow the pressure cooker to naturally release before removing the lengua.
- On a cutting board, peel away the tongue's outer membrane and trim any gristly/fatty bits from the underside of the tongue.
- Slice the cleaned tongue and dice into medium-sized pieces. The meat is ready to consume but is best kissed on a hot griddle for a layer of char.
To make the salsa verde:
- Set up your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill for high heat, direct, over-the-flame grilling.
- Char the vegetables for the salsa verde.
- For the poblanos, place in a separate Ziploc or bowl covered with plastic wrap to steam for 10 minutes before deseeding and scraping off the skins.
- Add the pepper flesh to the charred tomatillos and onions and blend in a Vitamix with a half cup of Sweetwater Spice Co. Lime Jalapeño Fajita Bath. Reserve salsa verde in the fridge until further use.
To finish the tacos:
- Once meat is ready to consume, season the diced lengua with Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Rub and Taco Seasoning before crisping it up on a high-heat cast-iron griddle.
- Warm up tortillas and fill with seared lengua meat, minced white onion, cilantro, and salsa verde.
- Enjoy immediately.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Yoder Smokers Cast Iron Griddle$99.95
free shippingOut of stock
- Illume Gifted Glass CandleAs low as
- Chef Works Bronx Bib Apron$39.99
- Wusthof Classic 7" Nakiri Knife, Granton Edge$170.00