Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwich
- By Tom Jackson
- Mar 29, 2022
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill for Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwich, smoke-roasted on the grill, sliced thin and topped with scratch-made Giardiniera and dipped in rich beef jus!
Chicago Style Italian Beef Sandwich
For the Beef Roast & Jus:
- 1 1/2 lb beef bones
- 4 cups yellow onion, large dice
- 2 cups carrots, large dice
- 2 cups celery, large dice
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tbsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Tellicherry Black Peppercorns, whole
- 1/4 cup Cattleman’s Grill Italiano Seasoning
- 1/4 cup Yoder Smokers Beef Rub
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 5 lb Creekstone Farms Prime Eye of Round Roast
- 2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 3 quarts beef stock
- French bread sandwich rolls
For the Chicago Giardiniera (Hot Peppers):
- 1 cup serrano peppers, small dice
- 1 cup cauliflower, small dice
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, small dice
- 1/2 cup carrot, small dice
- 1/2 cup celery, small dice
- 1/2 cup Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt
- 1/2 cup sport peppers, small dice
- 1/2 cup green olives, small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp celery seeds
- Jacobsen Salt Co. Tellicherry Black Peppercorns, fresh ground, to taste
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup Saica Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Colonial Chile Oil
For the Sweet Peppers
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell peppers
To make the Chicago Giardiniera, combine the Serranos, cauliflower, red bell, carrot and celery in a small container. Add the 1/2 cup salt and toss to coat. Cover and let brine in the refrigerator overnight. The next day, rinse the veggies and discard any collected water. Place the veggies in a mixing bowl and add the sport peppers, green olives, garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, celery seeds and fresh cracked black pepper. Toss well. Transfer to a quart sized mason jar. Add the vinegar and oils. Store in the refrigerator. Best after 2-3 days of sitting.
To make the sweet peppers, roast the peppers over direct high heat (425ºF+) in the grill until blackened on all sides. Transfer to a container with a lid or zip-top plastic bag and let steak for about 10 minutes. Remove from the container. Remove the blackened skins and seeds and discard. Dice the flesh. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 425ºF set up for indirect grilling.
Combine the quarter cup Cattleman’s Grill Italiano Seasoning and quarter cup Yoder Smokers Beef Rub in a small container and mix well.
Combine the beef bones, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, fresh herbs, black peppercorns and tomato paste in a roasting pan, and mix by hand to coat all ingredients in the tomato paste. Season the mixture with three tablespoons of the seasoning mixture.
Place the roasting pan on the main cooking grate of the grill and roast until the veggies begin to brown and soften, about 30 minutes.
Trim the eye of round roast to about one quarter inch fat cap, where applicable. Remove any visible silver skin. Coat the surface of the roast in worcestershire sauce. Season with the remaining five tablespoons of the seasoning mixture.
Deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping up the fond from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Stir the veggies, distributing evenly, then place the eye of round roast on top of the veggies, in the center of the pan. Add the fresh thyme and rosemary, then pour in the beef stock.
Roast the beef until it reaches an internal temperature of 120ºF-125ºF, about XX hours.
Remove the roast from the pan. Transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
You might also enjoy: Stuffed Meatball Sandwich
Strain the liquid from the pan and discard the solids. Store the liquid in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
When the beef is fully chilled. Slice very thin, preferably on a meat slicer. Reheat the liquid until just below a simmer.
To build the sandwich, dip a portion of thin sliced beef into the hot liquid, then place directly inside the split French roll. To serve the sandwich “wet” dip the entire sandwich in the hot beef broth. Top with your choice of sweet or hot (giardiniera) peppers.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- BBQr's Delight Wood Pellets, 20lb BagAs low as
- Finex 5-quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven$350.00
- Boos Block R02 Cherry Cutting Board, 24" x 18" x 1.5"$197.95
- Shun Classic 6" Boning/Fillet Knife$139.95
- Shun Sora 9" Bread Knife$99.95
- Shun Premier Grey Chef's 8"$199.95
- Chef Works Memphis Bib Apron$39.99
- ATBBQ New Era 9Fifty Flat-bill Snapback Hat$29.99Out of stock