Cajun Shrimp Pizza
- By Tom Jackson
- Jun 18, 2021
- Ooni Pizza Topping Station$129.99
Chef Tom puts the Ooni Koda to work, cooking marinated shrimp, fire roasted peppers and Cajun béchamel for this Cajun Shrimp Pizza!
Cajun Shrimp Pizza
Yield: 8 servings
- Pizza dough (recipe below)
- Cajun béchamel (recipe below)
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, tail off, deveined
- 1 (16 oz) bottle Smoke on Wheels BBQ Marinade
- Cattleman’s Grill Cajun Fusion Seasoning, to taste
- 8 oz low moisture mozzarella, grated
- 4 oz cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1/4 red onion, sliced thin
- 1 oz Parmigiano Reggiano, fresh grated
For the Cajun béchamel:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup beer
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Cajun Fusion Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Pit Fire Hot Sauce
For the pizza dough:
- 325g (1 cup 7 tbsp) warm water (110ºF)
- 5g (1 1/2 tsp) dry active yeast
- 500g (3 1/4 cup) Antimo Caputo “00” Pizza Flour
- 10g (1 tbsp) Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt
To make the pizza dough, pour the warm water into the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle the yeast over the water. Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
Add the flour, then the salt. With the mixer fitted with the hook attachment, mix on medium-low (2nd gear on the KitchenAid) until a ball is formed, about 1 minute. Once all ingredients are incorporated and a ball is formed, mix 8 minutes.
Transfer to an oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled in size.
Turn out onto a floured surface and divide into 2 equal portions. Roll each half into a ball, place in an oiled container. Cover. Refrigerate at least half an hour before use.
Preheat your Ooni Koda 12 over high heat.
Place your shrimp in a Briner Mini brining bucket. Let soak for 30-45 minutes.
Halve the green bell pepper. Place cut side down in a Lodge 10” Cast Iron Skillet, Place the skillet in the pizza oven. Blacken the skin of the pepper, then remove from the grill (6-8 minutes). Transfer the pepper to a bag and allow to steam for about 10 minutes. Peel the charred skin from the flesh of the pepper. Discard the skin and seeds. Dice the flesh.
To make the Cajun Béchamel, melt the butter in a skillet. Add the flour and whisk until lightly toasted and fragrant, about 60-90 seconds. Combine the remaining ingredient in a bowl. Add the liquid mixture slowly at first, whisking constantly. Cook until thickened.
Remove the shrimp from the marinade. Transfer to the Lodge 10” Cast Iron skillet. Place the skillet in the Ooni Koda. Cook for 30 seconds. Stir the shrimp and cook 30 seconds more. Remove from the oven.
You might also enjoy: Grilled Cajun Shrimp Pasta
On a floured work surface, stretch the dough thin, about 10”-12” in diameter. Place on a floured pizza peel.
Spread half of the Cajun béchamel across the dough. Top with half of the shrimp (along with some of the juices collected in the skillet), then the diced roasted bell pepper, grated mozzarella and red onion. Season with Cattleman’s Grill Cajun Fusion Seasoning and Cattleman’s Grill Pit Fire Hot Sauce.
Transfer the pizza to the Ooni Koda. Lower the heat to medium. Cook just until the back side is browned, then give the pizza a quarter spin. Repeat until browned on all sides, the cheese on top is browned and bubbling and the bottom is browned, as well. Remove from the oven and repeat for a second pizza.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Smoke on Wheels BBQ MarinadeAs low as
- Caputo Dry Yeast$4.95
- Lodge 10" Cast Iron Skillet$24.95