Tasso Ham & Grilled Chicken Jambalaya
Happy Mardi Gras! Celebrate with this Tasso Ham & Grilled Chicken Jambalaya cooked over a wood fire on the Yoder Smokers Pellet Grill!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
1/4 cup Code 3 Spices Sea Dog Cajun Rub
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 12 oz smoked tasso ham, diced 1/2” pieces
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup green bell peppers, diced
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
2 cups Ciao San Marzano Tomatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Grill to 450ºF, set up with both direct and indirect grilling areas. Install GrillGrates on the direct grilling side of the grill. Place a Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet to the right side the grill, to preheat.
Apply a thin layer of binder (hot sauce, oil, etc.) to the chicken thighs to give the seasoning something to stick to. Combine the Code 3 Spices Sea Dog Cajun Rub the with the cayenne and white pepper. Mix well. Season the chicken with the mixture. You will not need all the seasoning. Reserve the extra for later use.
- Grill the chicken over direct flame until lightly charred on all sides and the internal temperature reaches 160ºF. Remove the chicken from the grill and dice into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- Turn the grill down to 400ºF.
- Melt the butter in the hot skillet. Add the diced tasso ham and cooked until browned, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the onion, celery and bell peppers. Cook just until the onions start to turn translucent in color, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes in tomato sauce. Cook for one minute, stirring.
- Add the bay leaf, vegetable stock, rice and diced grilled chicken. Stir well to mix everything evenly. Place the skillet in an indirect cooking area and close the lid of the grill. Cook until the rice is tender, about 1 hour.
You might also enjoy: How to Make Tasso Ham
- Serving Size
- 12.48 oz
- per serving
- 44 grams
- 34 grams
- 22 grams
- 703 milligrams