Stuffed Meatball Sub Sandwich
The Stuffed Meatball Sub Sandwich! Chef Tom brings us another great utilization of ground beef and staple pantry items with this beefy, cheesy, saucy Stuffed Meatball Sub Sandwich.
- 1 1/2 lb 80/20 ground beef
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp parsley, minced
1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Italiano Seasoning
- 4 oz smoked mozzarella cheese, 1/2” cubes
1 tbsp Saica Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
1 tsp Cattleman’s Grill Italiano Seasoning
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
1 1/2 cup (1/2 can) Ciao San Marzano Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (1/2 bunch) fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp (1/2 oz) fresh basil, minced
- Sub sandwich buns
- 2 oz smoked mozzarella, grated
For the meatballs: Yield 6 (5 oz) meatballs
For the red sauce:
For the sub sandwich:
- To make the meatballs, combine the ground beef, egg, parmesan, garlic, breadcrumbs, parsley and Cattleman’s Grill Italiano Seasoning in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using the paddle attachment, beat the mixture over medium speed until the mixture becomes tacky and holds together, about 1 minute. Remove from the bowl.
- Divide the sausage into 4 equal sized balls.
- One at a time, flatten each ball in the palm of your hand. Place a cube of smoked mozzarella in the center, then close the sausage around the cheese. Form into a ball, fully encasing the mozzarella.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 400ºF, set up for indirect grilling.
- Place the meatballs on the grill and cook until the internal temperature reaches 160ºF on the innermost part of the beef.
- While the meatballs are cooking, prepare the red sauce. Heat the Saica Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a Lodge 12” Cast Iron Skillet, over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent. Season with the Cattleman’s Grill Italiano Seasoning and red pepper flakes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and break them up with a wooden spoon. Let the sauce simmer until the meatballs are finished cooking on the grill. Mix in the parsley and basil.
- Scoop out a good portion of the bread inside the sub sandwich rolls. Lay a layer of sauce inside the roll. Top with meatballs. Cover with more sauce and grated mozzarella cheese. Place back in the grill to melt the cheese before serving the Stuffed Meatball Sub Sandwich.
- Serving Size
- 11.25 oz
- per serving
- 33 grams
- 48 grams
- 39 grams
- 696 milligrams