Split Roasted Chicken
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
Chef Eric Gephart fires up the Kamado Joe Classic III Ceramic Charcoal Grill for his Split Roasted Chicken cooked over a bed of veggies and herbs in a cast iron dish!
- 1 whole chicken, backbone cut out, bird split in half down the breast bone
3 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust Seasoning
1 tbsp Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 yellow onion, large dice
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 10 each new (baby) potatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Stabilize your Kamado Joe Classic III Ceramic Charcoal Grill at 350ºF and set up for direct grilling with grill grates at the highest setting of the divide and conquer system.
- While the grill is coming to temperature, place a Lodge Cast Iron Casserole Dish on the grill grate and let it come to temp with the grill.
- Season all sides of the chicken halves as well as your veggies with Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust Seasoning.
- Oil the cast iron and place the chicken halves skin side down in the pan. Allow to brown and render for a few minutes then flip and allow to sear for another 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the chicken and reserve.
- Add the onions and herbs to the hot pan. Toss them so they soak up the seared chicken fond. Sweat for a few minutes then deglaze with the white wine. Add the sliced potatoes, garlic, butter, and chicken stock. Make sure the potatoes are spread out. Top the liquid and vegetables with the chicken halves, skin side facing up. Close the dome and cook until the breast meat reaches an internal temperature of 160ºF - 165ºF and the leg and thigh temperatures are around 175ºF, about 45 minutes.
Remove and reserve the chicken halves. Transfer the vegetables to a platter or presentation plate. Use a knife and cut the leg/thigh from the breast meat and plate your portion of chicken on top of the steaming vegetables. Pour the self-made gravy on top and enjoy!
You might also enjoy: Crispy Chicken & Veggie Teriyaki
- Serving Size
- 9.93 oz
- per serving
- 25.2 grams
- 31.8 grams
- 28.2 grams
- 269 milligrams