Few things are as tasty as chicken from the grill. Make our Bourbon BBQ Sauce recipe and pair with our Grilled Apple Slaw.
Smoke Roasted BBQ Chicken Quarters with BBQ Sauce
Fire up the grill to create succulent Smoke Roasted BBQ Chicken Quarters with our homemade Bourbon BBQ Sauce. Our one-of-a-kind recipe makes for an unforgettable flavour experience, best enjoyed with our Grilled Apple Slaw. Enjoy the best of summer grilling today!
- 1 whole chicken
Cattleman’s Grill Ranchero Seasoning
- 1 small head of green cabbage, quartered
- 2 medium granny smith apples, quartered
House of Q House BBQ Rub
- 1 cup purple carrots, julienned
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup American Stockyard Smoky Mustard
- black pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
Grilled Apple Slaw:
Bourbon BBQ Sauce:
- Preheat your Yoder Smoker YS640 pellet grill to 500°F, set up for direct grilling with GrillGrates. Rub a thin layer of oil over the surfaces of the quartered cabbage and apples. Season moderately with House of Q Slow House BBQ Rub. Grill on the GrillGrates over direct heat until lightly charred, but not softened. Remove from the grill and place in the refrigerator to stop the cooking. Turn the grill down to 350°F.
- To make the slaw dressing, combine the mayo, sour cream and American Stockyard Smoky Mustard. Whisk together, taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove the cabbage and apples from the refrigerator. Cut out the cores. Slice thin. Combine the cabbage, apples, carrots and dressing in a bowl and mix well. Transfer to the refrigerator.
- Break the chicken down into quarters. Remove the thighs/legs from the carcass, cutting through the joint the joins the two. Cut out the backbone so just the breasts and breastbone are left. Cut straight down between the breasts, through the breastbone, separating the breasts. Remove the wings from the breasts, cutting through the joint that joins the two.
- Loosen the skin from the thighs/legs, but leave attached at the end of the leg. Season under the skin with the Cattleman’s Grill Ranchero Seasoning. Pull the skin back into place. Season the skin, as well. Season the bone-in breasts on all sides (not under the skin).
- Transfer the chicken pieces to the second shelf of the grill. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 155°F in the thighs, 150°F in the breasts.
- While the chicken is cooking, combine all the Bourbon BBQ Sauce ingredients in a Lodge 8” cast iron skillet. Whisk gently to combine. Transfer to the grill. Place the skillet directly over the fire box. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Move to the indirect side of the grill.
- When the chicken reaches 150°F-155°F, transfer to the GrillGrates, skin side down. Cook until the skin is brown and the thighs have reached 165°F-170°F and the breasts have reached 160°F-165°F. Brush the Bourbon BBQ Sauce on the chicken. Let the sauce tack up for 1-2 minutes. Remove from the grill. Serve hot with the Grilled Apple Slaw.
- Serving Size
- 12.83 oz
- per serving
- 42 grams
- 80 grams
- 84 grams
- 1405 milligrams