Chef Tom brings us his version of the Mexican soup, Pozole Verde, including a fire roasted salsa verde and roast chicken on the Kamado Joe!
- 1 (5 lb) whole chicken
1/4 cup Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning
1/4 cup Cattleman’s Grill Steakhouse Seasoning
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 lb tomatillos, husks removed
- 3 jalapeño peppers
- 3 poblano peppers
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 3 (25 oz) cans hominy, drained, rinsed
- 2 qt chicken stock
- limes, sliced, for serving
- queso fresco, (optional) for garnish
- sliced avocado (optional), for garnish
- chopped purple cabbage (optional), for garnish
- Preheat your Kamado Joe Classic Joe III to 500ºF, set up for direct grilling. Place the grill grates on the lower level of the divide and conquer system. Place the tomatillos, jalapeños, poblanos and onion quarters on the grill. Blacken all sides of the peppers, then transfer to a plastic zip top bag. Grill the tomatillos on all sides until they are softened and you have nice grill marks. Grill the onions on all sides to get some char and slightly soften. After removing all veggies from the grill, place the diffuser plates in the grill, setting it up for indirect cooking. Stabilize the temperature at 325ºF-350ºF.
Spatchcock the whole chicken, remove the backbone with poultry shears, and pressing the bird flat. Loosen the skin from meat, but do not remove. Mix the Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning, Cattleman’s Grill Steakhouse Seasoning and ground cumin. Season the flesh of the bird, under the skin, with the rub. Lay flat, skin side up, on the grill grates. Cook until the internal temperature in the breasts reaches 160ºF. Remove from the grill and rest.
While the chicken roasts, remove the peppers from the bag. Peel the skin off. Remove and discard the seeds. Trim the root end of the onions and discard. Place the peppers, onions, tomatillos, garlic and cilantro in a food processor or blender and purée until smooth.
Pull the meat of the chicken from the bones and shred by hand. Place the chicken in a Lodge Logic 7 Quart Dutch Oven. Add the rinsed hominy, tomatillo salsa and two quarts of chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes to marry the flavors. Serve with your choice of garnishes.
You might also enjoy: Chili Blanco
- Serving Size
- 10.94 oz
- per serving
- 29 grams
- 14 grams
- 5 grams
- 1289 milligrams