Chef Tom fires up the Napoleon P500 Gas Grill for Irish Beef Hand Pies and Guinness Cheese Sauce, just in time for St. Patrick's Day!
Irish Beef Hand Pie with Guinness Mustard Cheese Sauce
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with a delicious meal thanks from the Napoleon P500 Gas Grill. Chef Tom grills up scrumptious Irish Beef Hand Pies with Guinness Cheese Sauce.
- 1/2 lb ground beef
Yoder Smokers Beef Rub
1 tbsp beef tallow
- 1 cup savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, thin sliced
- 1/4 cup Guinness Stout
- 1 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp Kozlik’s Dijon Classique
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp half and half
3 oz (1/2 cup solid) very cold beef tallow, grated
- 10 oz (2 cups) all purpose flour
1 tbsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Sea Salt
- 6-8 tbsp ice water
- 1 oz Irish cheddar, grated
- 8 oz Guinness Stout
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 6 oz Irish cheddar, grated
2 tbsp Kozlik’s Triple Crunch Mustard
For the Tallow Cheddar Pie Dough:
For the Guinness Cheddar Sauce:
- To make the dough, combine grated tallow with the flour and Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Sea Salt in a medium sized mixing bowl. Coat tallow in flour and break up. Add ice water to bowl. Mix by hand. Turn out onto work surface. Knead until dough is formed. Press into rectangle. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat a Lodge 10” Steel Skillet on the side burner of the Napoleon P500RSIB-3 over high heat. Add the ground beef to the skillet to brown. Season with Yoder Smokers Beef Rub. Cook until browned on all sides and cooked though. Remove from the skillet with a slotted spoon, leaving the fat and fond behind.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the beef tallow to the skillet. When the tallow is melted, add the cabbage, onion and a little more Yoder Smokers Beef Rub. Fry the mixture until slightly browned and softened, about 5 minutes.
- Return the beef to skillet with the cabbage mixture. Add the Guinness Stout, Worcestershire sauce and Kozlik’s Dijon Classique mustard. Cook until liquid is mostly reduced out, 3-5 minutes.
- Preheat the main cooking chamber of the grill with all burners on high heat.
- Roll dough out and cut into eight 4” x 4” squares. Fill each with two tablespoons of filling. Wet the edges of the dough and enclose the filling. Press the edges with fork to crimp. Trim any excess dough from the crimped edge. Place the hand pies on a parchment lined sheet pan, and space evenly.
- Combine the beaten egg and half and half and whisk. Brush the tops of the hand pies with the egg wash.
- Turn the burners on one half of the grill to low heat. Turn the burners on the other half to medium heat. Stabilize the grill temperature around 425ºF - 450ºF.
- Place the sheet pan filled with hand pies on the half of the grill over low heat. Bake the hand pies until golden brown, about 50-60 minutes.
After removing the hand pies from the grill, Preheat your Lodge 10” Steel Skillet over high heat. Add 8 oz Guinness Stout beer and the softened cream cheese. Break up the cream cheese, then whisk to incorporate. When the mixture comes to a simmer, add the Kozlik’s Triple Crunch whole grain mustard, and a handful of Irish cheddar. Whisk continuously until the cheddar is melted, then add another handful of the cheese. Do this until all cheese in incorporated and the cheese sauce is thickened.
- Serve the Irish Beef Hand Pies with the Guinness Cheddar Sauce for dipping.
You might also enjoy: Smoked Shepherd's Pie
- Serving Size
- 10.82 oz
- per serving
- 51.3 grams
- 18.2 grams
- 45.9 grams
- 1655 milligrams