Grilled Chicken Fajita Nachos
Chef Tom uses our Napoleon Grills P500RSIB to its full potential. He fries chips on the infrared side burner, grills chicken over charcoal and cooks up veggies on a cast iron griddle.
- 3 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 cup Sweetwater Spice Lime Jalapeño Fajita Bath
Chili Dawg’s Green Chile Seasoning
- 6 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil for frying, about 1/2 gal
- 1/2 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, sliced
- 8 oz sharp cheddar, grated
- 8 oz pepper jack cheese, grated
- 1 large jalapeño, diced (optional)
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
Holmes Made Marty's Chile Verde Salsa, for serving, (optional)
- Mexican crema, or sour cream, for serving (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup half & half
1 tsp Chili Dawg’s Green Chile Seasoning
- 1/4 cup queso fresco, crumbled
For the garlic sauce:
- Trim any excess fat from the chicken thighs and place in a quart sized zip top bag with one cup of Sweetwater Spice Lime Jalapeño Fajita Bath and one cup water. Store in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Fill a Lodge Logic 7 quart dutch oven almost half full of vegetable oil. Heat the oil on the infrared side burner of your Napoleon Prestige P500RSIB over medium-high heat, until an instant read thermometer inserted into the oil reads 375°F. Turn the heat down to maintain that temperature.
Meanwhile, remove all sear plates covering the burners in the main cooking chamber. On one half, place a Napoleon charcoal tray on one half, filling with charcoal and placing the grate back over the tray. On the other half, place a Napoleon cast iron griddle. Turn on all burners, medium high heat. When the coals are well lit, you may turn the burners under the tray off.
- Cut each of your corn tortillas into six wedges. Fry in the hot oil until golden in color. Remove from oil and place on paper towels. Season with salt. Carefully remove the dutch oven with hot oil from the side burner.
- Place a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil on the hot griddle. Cook your sliced onions and peppers until tender. Remove from the griddle. Turn the burners off.
- Remove the chicken from the bath. Pat mostly dry with paper towels. Season with Chili Dawg’s Green Chile Seasoning. Grill each thigh on both sides over the charcoal until an instant read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165°F. Remove, rest 5 minutes then slice.
- To make the garlic sauce, combine the minced garlic, half & half and 1 teaspoon Chili Dawg’s Green Chile Seasoning in a small skillet. Place on the side burner and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the queso fresco. Allow to simmer until the cheese is melted.
- Fill a Lodge Logic 12” cast iron skillet with the chips. Pour the garlic sauce evenly over the chips. Top with the fajita onions and peppers, sliced chicken, the cheeses and fresh jalapeños. Place the skillet on the griddle and cook until the cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes. Keep in mind, all burners are shut off, now. The heat will be coming from the charcoal in the basket on the opposite side of the grill.
- Serve topped with fresh cilantro, Mexican crema and Holmes Made Marty's Chile Verde Salsa.
This recipe was prepared on a Napoleon Grills P500.
- Serving Size
- 14.74 oz
- per serving
- 27 grams
- 66 grams
- 55 grams
- 2784 milligrams