Experience Cuba's classic Mojo Pork Cubanos with this recipe! Succulent pork shoulder is marinated in a zesty mojo blend, then topped with ham, Swiss cheese, and dill pickles. Get a taste of the tropics in every bite!
Mojo Pork Cubanos
Taste the island's finest with our Mojo Pork Cubanos! Enjoy succulent pork shoulder marinated in a zesty mojo sauce, topped with ham, Swiss cheese, and pickles.
- 3 1/2 lb roast of boneless Boston butt pork shoulder
- Mojo marinade
- 6 oz thin sliced deli ham
- 1/2 lb Swiss cheese, thin sliced
- 3 whole dill pickles, sliced thin, lengthwise
- yellow mustard
- 6 (6” long) soft baguettes or heros, split lengthwise
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 tbsp orange zest, finely grated
- 3/4 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/2 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, minced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- black pepper
For the Mojo Marinade:
- Transfer marinade to a large zip top bag and add the pork. Seal the bag and massage the marinade into all sides of the pork. Place the bag in a foil pan or baking dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 pellet grill to 450°F, set up for indirect grilling, with GrillGrates installed, flat sides up, over the firebox. Remove the pork from the marinade. Wipe excess marinade from the surface. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Transfer to the second shelf of the smoker. Cook for about 45 minutes, just until the outside starts to brown.
- After 45 minutes, turn the grill down to 400°F and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 170°F, about two more hours. Remove from the grill and rest 30 minutes before slicing. Cut 1/4” thick slices.
- While the pork rests, cook the thin sliced deli ham on the flat surface of the GrillGrates to brown the outside. Remove. Then, butter the cut sides of the bread and toast on the GrillGrates. Remove. Place grill weights on the grill to preheat.
- Build the sandwiches. Two slices grilled ham, two slices roasted pork, one slice Swiss cheese, two pickles and yellow mustard on the top bun.
- Butter the flat surface of the GrillGrates. Place the sandwiches on the GrillGrates, butter the tops of the bread then place the grill weight on top of the sandwiches. Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and the cheese is melting.
Combine all the Mojo marinade ingredients (except salt and pepper) in a bowl. Whisk to incorporate. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serving Size
- 10.28 oz
- per serving
- 64 grams
- 97 grams
- 85 grams
- 1476 milligrams