Chef Tom brings you his recipe for Coffee Crusted Beef Tenderloin, cooked using the reverse sear method on the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill and finished with a Garlic Brie Cream Sauce. This recipe is simple enough to make any day of the week, but decadent enough for the most special occasions!
Coffee Crusted Beef Tenderloin
Rated 5.0 stars by 3 users
1 hour 20 minutes
Chef Tom's recipe for Coffee Crusted Beef Tenderloin is slow-cooked to perfection using the reverse sear method. The rich flavor of the coffee and garlic paired with the creamy brie sauce is the perfect indulgence for any meal, from weekday to special occasion.
- 1 (5 lb) whole beef tenderloin
House of Q Slow Smoke Gold Mustard Sauce
- Oakridge BBQ Black Ops Seasoning
Cattleman’s Grill Smoky Chipotle Coffee Steak Rub
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tsp Oakridge BBQ Black Ops Seasoning
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz brie cheese
For the Garlic Brie Cream Sauce:
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 225ºF, set up for smoking, with GrillGrates installed on the left side of the main cooking surface, directly over the fire box.
- Trim the chain and silver skin from the whole beef tenderloin, as well as any excessive hard fat.
- Rub the surface of the tenderloin with the House of Q Slow Smoke Gold Mustard Sauce. Season first with a base layer of Oakridge BBQ Black Ops Seasoning. When the rub begins to look wet on the surface, season the tenderloin with the Cattleman’s Grill Smoky Chipotle Coffee Steak Rub.
- Smoke the tenderloin on the second shelf of the grill until the internal temperature reaches 105ºF in the thickest part of the roast. Remove the tenderloin and loosely cover with foil.
Remove the second shelf from the grill. Also remove the door from the two piece diffuser, or remove the diffuser entirely, to set up for direct grilling. Increase the temperature of the grill to 475ºF.
- When the grill comes up to temperature, place the beef tenderloin on the GrillGrates to grill over direct heat. Grill until you have nice grill marks and some char. Flip and continue to grill until the internal temperature reaches 125ºF in the thickest part of the roast. Remove from the grill. Cover loosely with foil to rest.
- While the tenderloin is grilling, prepare the Garlic Brie Cream Sauce. Start by melting the butter gently over medium low heat in a Lodge 10" Cast Iron Skillet. Add the shallots and garlic and gently poach until the shallots are translucent in color. Add the fresh thyme leaves and stir to incorporate. Season with about 1 tsp Oakridge BBQ Black Ops Seasoning. Add the chicken stock. Increase the heat to medium. Cook until the chicken stock is nearly gone. Add the heavy cream. Bring to a simmer. Add the brie and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce reaches your desired consistency.
- Slice the Coffee Crusted Beef Tenderloin into 8-10 steaks and serve topped with the warm Garlic Brie Cream Sauce.
- Serving Size
- 7.22 oz
- per serving
- 3 grams
- 34 grams
- 44 grams
- 357 milligrams