Chef Tom is back, and he’s bringing you his Food Network Magazine published recipe, Chipotle Flank Steak with Chef Eric’s Blue Smoked Slaw! Tom & Eric debuted this recipe at the Food Network & Cooking Channel’s South Beach Wine & Food Festival in February 2018, and now we’re bringing it to you!
Chipotle Flank Steak with Blue Smoked Slaw
Treat your taste buds to the bold flavors of Chef Tom & Eric's Chipotle Flank Steak with Blue Smoked Slaw! Straight from their Food Network recipe, the perfectly marinated steak paired with a smoky coleslaw will tantalize your senses and leave you wanting more.
- 1 flank steak
Sweetwater Spice Ancho Chipotle Bath Brine
Cattleman’s Grill Smoky Chipotle Coffee Steak Rub
1/2 cup Firebug Mild Grillin’ Sauce
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup minced garlic
3 tbsp R Butts R Smokin’ Ozark Heat BBQ Rub
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 cup medium red onion, small dice
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
For the South Beach Sauce:
For the Blue Smoked Slaw:
Trim any silver skin from the surface of the flank steak. Submerge the steak in one part Sweetwater Spice Ancho Chipotle Bath Brine (and 5 parts water). Let sit one hour for every pound of meat.
- To make the South Beach Sauce, combine all ingredients and whisk to mix well. Taste and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Store in the refrigerator.
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Grill to 250°F set up for indirect grilling/smoking.
Using a knife, carefully remove the core of the cabbage, creating a cavity for stuffing. Combine the 1/2 cup vegetable oil with the garlic and R Butts R Smokin’ Ozark Heat BBQ Rub. Mix well. Fill the cavity in the cabbage with the garlic mixture.
- Transfer the cabbage to the grill/smoker. Smoke until the cabbage is slightly softened and taking on color from the smoke, about 2-3 hours.
- Cut the cabbage in half and allow to cool for a few minutes. Slice the cabbage into 1/4” strips. Transfer the sliced cabbage and garlic mixture to a mixing bowl.
- To make the slaw dressing, combine the mayonnaise, red onion, scallions, apple cider vinegar, mustard and sugar and whisk to combine. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to incorporate and coat. Transfer to the refrigerator until service.
Set the grill up for high heat (500°F) direct grilling with GrillGrates in place over the firebox.
Remove the steak from the marinade. Remove excess liquid from the surface with a paper towel. Season with Cattleman’s Grill Smoky Chipotle Coffee Steak Rub. Grill the steak about 8 minutes each side, until internal temperature reaches 125°F. Let rest ten minutes. Slice thin, across the grain of the meat. Serve over the Blue Smoke Slaw, drizzled with the South Beach Sauce.
- Serving Size
- 12.32 oz
- per serving
- 32 grams
- 33 grams
- 37 grams
- 1617 milligrams