Charred Carrot Soup
Is wintertime leaving you out in the cold? Time to heat things up and watch Chef Britt show us how to make this warming recipe that’s healthy and packed full of flavor, too!
- 2 lbs whole carrots
2-3 tablespoons Saica Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Oakridge Seasoning Jah Love
- 2 quarts chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Half & Half
- 3 egg yolks, whisked
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
Cattleman's Grill Everything Bagel Seasoning, for garnish
For the carrot soup:
Scrub and rinse carrots before peeling. Save peels to create fried carrot garnish ribbons later.
Season peeled carrots with olive oil and Oakridge Jah Love Seasoning and place carrots directly on a bed of hot charcoal until char marks are present.
In a 5-quart Lodge Dutch Oven, bring the charred carrots and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until carrots are very soft.
- Purée the soup until creamy. Set aside and keep warm.
Place the butter in a clean 10-inch Lodge Cast Iron Skillet and cook over low heat until melted. Add the flour and cook for 3 minutes, while stirring, making a blonde roux. Deglaze the pan with the carrot soup while stirring constantly. Return all the soup to the 5-quart Lodge Dutch Oven.
- In a separate medium/small bowl, blend together half-and-half and egg yolks very well.
- Temper the egg yolk mixture with the hot carrot soup.
- Remove from heat, adjust seasoning if needed, and ladle into warm bowls immediately.
For the carrot ribbons:
Blanch carrot peels in boiling water, then remove and pat dry.
Bring 2 cups of frying oil in a 10-inch Lodge Cast Iron Skillet between 350-375°F. Fry carrot ribbons in batches until translucent in color and crispy in texture. Remove with a slotted spoon and place onto paper towel to drain any excess fat.
Ladle hot soup into warm bowls and garnish with a small pile of carrot ribbons and a sprinkle of Cattleman's Grill Everything Bagel Seasoning.
- Serving Size
- 16 oz
- per serving
- 8 grams
- 3 grams
- 65 grams
- 846 milligrams