Chef Tom smokes up a batch of the cheese stuffed, sausage and bacon wrapped jalapeno barbecue staple known as Armadillo Eggs on the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill.
Experience classic Texas barbecue with Armadillo Eggs! Chef Tom smokes up this cheesy, sausage-filled jalapeno wrapped in bacon for an unforgettable taste.
- 12 large jalapeños
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz (1 cup) sharp cheddar, grated
- 1/4 cup Southwest Buttermilk Ranch (recipe below)
1 tbsp R Butts R Smokin’ Honey Chipotle Seasoning
- 2 lb pork country sausage
- 1 lb Mexican chorizo
Big Rick’s Chipotle BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2-4 tbsp cultured buttermilk
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1/4 cup parsley, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh baby dill, minced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Zest of 1/2 lime
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Habanero Infused Sea Salt
1/4 tsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Tellicherry Black Peppercorns, fresh ground
Southwest Buttermilk Ranch:
- To make the Southwest Buttermilk Ranch, combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 275ºF, set up for smoking.
- Slice the stems/tops off of the jalapeños. Hollow out the jalapeños, removing the seeds and ribs.
- To make the cheese filling, combine the cream cheese, sharp cheddar, quarter cup of Southwest Buttermilk Ranch and 1 tbsp R Butts R Smokin’ Honey Chipotle Seasoning in a gallon sized zip top plastic bag. Close up the bag and massage the filling to combine.
- Cut off a corner of the zip top bag and pipe the filling into the hollowed out jalapeños, filling them to the top.
- Combine the sausage and chorizo in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix the sausages together using the paddle attachment, until well blended, about 60 second. Remove from the bowl and portion into 12 (1/4 lb) balls.
- Press out each sausage ball, one at a time, then place the cheese stuffed jalapeño on the sausage and wrap the sausage around the jalapeño to full encase the pepper. Wrap two slices of bacon around the outside of the sausage, covering the surface of the sausage. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.
- Place the Armadillo Eggs on the second shelf of the grill, and a water pan underneath the armadillo eggs to catch the fat that drips during the cooking process. Smoke at 275ºF until the internal temperature reaches 165ºF in the center of the Armadillo Eggs, about 90 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and serve with the Southwest Buttermilk Ranch for dipping.
- Serving Size
- 6.23 oz
- per serving
- 9 grams
- 90 grams
- 130 grams
- 2693 milligrams