Apple Galette Recipe
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to bake these incredible tasty, free form individual apple pies, featuring a bright, citrusy filling, rich with holiday spices and a scratch-made dough. This is the Apple Galette!
- 2 tbsp clarified butter
- 2 lb Granny Smith apples
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp Noble Saltworks Whiskey Barrel Smoked Salt
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped out
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 9 oz (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, cubed, frozen
- 7 oz (1 1/2 cups) cake flour
- 7 oz AP flour
- 2 1/4 oz sugar
3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- cold water (as needed)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp milk
Noble Saltworks Smoked Maple Turbinado Sugar
For the apple filling:
For the Pie Dough:
For the egg wash/topping:
- To make the pie dough, combine the frozen butter, flours, sugar and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on medium low until the butter chunks are smaller than pea sized, and the mixer is mealy in texture. Add one egg at a time, mixing in between additions. The dough will start to form. Let mix for 60-90 seconds after the last egg is added. If the dough still looks dry add cold water and mix just until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough mixture out onto a floured surface. Press together into a dough ball. Press into a 1” thick rectangle. Wrap in plastic. Place in the refrigerator to relax for at least 30 minutes.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a rectangle, about 1/8” thick. Cut out a dozen 4” circles. Place in the refrigerator. The scraps from trimming the circles can be pressed back together, rested and rolled back out to form more galette discs.
To make the filling, melt the clarified butter in a Lodge 10” Cast Iron Skillet over medium heat. Add the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, smoked salt, ground ginger, and the seeds from the vanilla bean. Cook just until the sugar is dissolved, stirring frequently with a >wooden spoon.
- Combine the cornstarch, bourbon and lemon juice. Mix to dissolve. Pour the slurry into the apple pie filling. Cook until thickened. Remove from heat.
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 375ºF, set up for indirect grilling.
Place two tablespoons of apple pie filling in the center of each circle of pie dough. Fold the edges inward, until the filling is fully enclosed, overlapping to form the galette. Place the galettes on a parchment lined sheet pan.
Mix the egg and milk for the egg-wash. Brush the exposed dough surface of the galettes. Sprinkle with Noble Saltworks Smoked Maple Turbinado Sugar.
- Transfer the sheet pan to the grill. Bake until the dough is cooked through and golden brown, about 45 minutes.
- Serve each Apple Galette topped with whipped cream or ice cream.
You might also enjoy: Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars
- Serving Size
- 5.2 oz
- per serving
- 63 grams
- 10 grams
- 16 grams
- 218 milligrams