If you own a Yoder Smokers pellet grill, it is important to know which thermocouple your grill is equipped with as they have gone through some revisions since the first pellet grill was manufactured in 2010. Here is a simple guide to help you identify the thermocouple in your Yoder Smokers pellet grill.
Why Identifying Your Thermocouple Matters:
Understanding the thermocouple type in your pellet grill is essential when it comes to maintenance and replacement parts. The original long thermocouple and the "PT1000" and "Type J" thermocouples are not interchangeable, so using the wrong one could lead to inaccurate temperature readings and affect the overall performance of your grill.
If your Yoder Smokers pellet grill was built before 1/27/2015, identifying the thermocouple type is relatively straightforward. Grills manufactured before this date will have a long thermocouple mounted on the back wall. If you need to order a replacement, you just need to order a Yoder Smokers Long Thermocouple.
For grills built after 1/27/2015, Yoder Smokers introduced the “Type J” short thermocouple that was mounted on the left side wall of the smoker. This was used until June of 2022 when it was replaced with the PT-1000 thermocouple.
If you have a non-ACS controlled grill that does not have WiFi and you have a short thermocouple on the side wall, you will need to order a Type J thermocouple. The PT-1000 will thermocouple will not work with the non-ACS control board.
When replacing a short thermocouple on a newer ACS controlled grill, you must first identify which thermocouple is in your grill. To determine which short thermocouple your grill is equipped with, follow these steps:
- Press the menu button on the main screen of your YS480s or YS640s pellet grill.
- Rotate the selector knob clockwise to highlight the "About" option and press the knob.
- Verify that your firmware is version 1.0.43 or higher. (Your grill will automatically perform a firmware update any time it is connected to the Fireboard app via WiFi. A firmware update cannot be performed using Bluetooth. Please call the ATBBQ customer service team at 316-440-3950 if you are experiencing issues with this step.)
- Once firmware is verified, rotate the knob clockwise again until you see "probe" under the "About" menu.
- Note the type of probe your grill is using. It will either display "PT1000" or "Type J."
By following these simple steps, you can quickly identify the specific thermocouple in your Yoder Smokers pellet grill. It is also important to double-check the model of your grill before ordering replacement thermocouples, ensuring you get the correct probe for your specific unit.
By taking a few moments to identify your Yoder Smokers pellet grill's thermocouple type, you can rest assured that the replacement part you order is correct.