Frequently Asked Questions
- What are your store hours?
- How does an offset smoker work?
- Can I grill as well as smoke on an offset smoker?
- How does packaging and shipping work on a backyard smoker?
- Is assembly required on a Yoder Smoker?
- On a Yoder Smoker, are the cooking and the charcoal/wood grates removable?
- Is a tool included to clean out the ash in the firebox of a Yoder Smoker?
- Can I cook with a Yoder Smoker when the temperatures are below freezing?
- How long will my Yoder Smoker last?
Question: How does an offset smoker work?
Answer: Our offset smokers consist of the firebox (the smaller box), the cooking chamber (where most of the cooking takes place and an additional vertical cooking chamber if you choose one of our Durango models. You begin by building a fire in the firebox, the heat then flows out of the firebox, through the cooking chamber and out the chimney. You control the rate of burn and the heat produced primarily by the main butterfly damper on the firebox door. To a lesser degree the damper on the chimney is also used to fine tune the heat in the cooking chamber.
- Grill direct. By this I mean that you build a charcoal fire directly below the cooking grates and grill directly over the coals.
- Grill indirectly. By this I mean that you build a fire in the firebox and run the dampers more toward the open position to allow the temperature in the cooking chamber to run at 350-degrees and above. With this method of cooking your fuel typically starts with a charcoal base and then split wood is added to provide the heat and the flavor.
- Slow smoking also known as barbecuing. This technique is accomplished just like indirect grilling except that the temperature is held at or below 250-degrees. This is how you accomplish that tender meat with a rich smoky flavor.
Question: How does packaging and shipping work on a backyard smoker?
Answer: The unit will be banded to a pallet and the shrink wrapped. The delivery truck will be equipped with a lift gate that then lowers the pallet to the ground, so that all that is needed is to cut the bands and roll the unit into place.
Question: Is assembly required on a Yoder Smoker?
Answer: The unit is fully welded so the only assembly that is required is to install the thermometer in the door and to remove the bolt that holds the damper in place, turn the damper around so that the handle is now facing outward, reinstall and tighten the bolt.