White Bean Porcini Mushroom Soup
This classic white bean soup is elevated with smoky goodness right on the grill.
- 1 lb bacon ends, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, small dice
- 1/2 cup celery, small dice
2 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill Original Coffee Steak Rub
- 1 oz (~1 cup) dried porcini mushrooms
- 12 oz assorted mushrooms (shiitake, portobello, button), diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 16 oz porter beer (or other dark beer)
- 2 (15 oz) cans cannellini beans, drained
- 3/4 cup barley
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- parsley, diced, for garnish
salt, to taste
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Smoker to 325°F. In a Lodge Logic 7 Quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven, cook the bacon over medium heat. When the bacon begins to brown, drain all but about two tablespoons of the bacon fat. Add the onions, carrots, celery, fresh mushrooms, and Cattleman’s Grill Original Coffee Steak Rub to the pan. Sweat for about 10 minutes, until onions are softened and translucent.
- Meanwhile, place the porcini mushrooms in a spice grinder or food processor and grind to a powder. Then place the ground mushrooms, flour, garlic and rosemary in the dutch oven. Cook another two minutes, stirring the pot. Add the beer and cook on high for a few minutes, until thickened. Add the beans, barley and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer.
- Transfer to the smoker and cook until the barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from the cooker, stir in the heavy cream. Taste and season with salt, as necessary. Garnish each bowl of soup with diced parsley.
- Serving Size
- 20.82 oz
- per serving
- 112 grams
- 88 grams
- 37 grams
- 3547 milligrams