Chef Tom takes a little inspiration from the hit 1990s sitcom Friends and cooks up a leftover turkey sandwich so good that you’ll want to make a turkey dedicated to it.
Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwich
Treat yourself to a delicious Leftover Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwich! Devour soft brie cheese, tart cranberry-orange relish and robust turkey gravy on a freshly toasted bread. It's the perfect way to relive this special holiday!
- 1 Italian bread boule
Leftover Turkey, dark and white meat
Savory Sausage Stuffing
- Soft Brie Cheese
- Turkey Gravy (recipe below)
- Cranberry-Orange Relish (recipe below)
- Unsalted Butter, as needed
- 4 oz sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- 6 oz fresh cranberries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- segments of 1 orange
- 1 tbsp orange liquor
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup AP flour
2 cups turkey stock and turkey pan drippings
- black pepper and salt, as needed
For the Cranberry-Orange Relish:
For the Turkey Gravy:
To make the Cranberry-Orange Relish, combine the sugar, orange juice and water in a Lodge 8” cast iron skillet. Bring to a boil. Add the cranberries and cinnamon stick and simmer until the berries begin to burst and break down, about 5-10 minutes. Add the orange liquor, zest, segments and vinegar. Simmer another 2-5 minutes, until mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat. Remove and discard the cinnamon stick. Transfer to a bowl and chill.
To make the gravy, melt the butter in the Lodge 8” cast iron skillet, over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk constantly until lightly toasted and fragrant. Slowly whisk in the turkey stock/drippings. Season with black pepper and salt, as needed.
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 pellet grill to 350°F, set up for direct and indirect grilling, with a Yoder Smokers Cast Iron Griddle in place on the firebox side of the grill.
- Assemble the sandwich. You’ll need 3 slices of bread. Spread the first slice with mayonnaise. Top with a layer of savory sausage stuffing. Top that with warmed leftover dark meat. Take the second slice of bread and dunk it in the gravy. Place the gravy soaked slice of bread over the dark meat. Top the moist maker with warmed leftover white turkey meat. Then, the cranberry-orange relish, and finally the last slice of bread, spread with creamy brie cheese.
Place a couple of tablespoons of butter on the hot Yoder Smokers Cast Iron Griddle to melt. Toast the sandwich on both sides until browned.
- Serving Size
- 21.52 oz
- per serving
- 109 grams
- 47 grams
- 14 grams
- 1449 milligrams