This simple, savory recipe uses pecan, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, and Irish red beer to create a delicious and pork sausage roll for your next gathering.
Irish Sausage Rolls
Experience the flavor of Ireland with our savory sausage rolls! This easy-to-follow recipe makes a unique, delicious finger food that's sure to be the talk of any gathering. Enjoy the savory flavors of pecan, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, and Irish red beer in every bite!
- 1 lb ground pork
2 tsp Butcher BBQ Savory Pecan Seasoning
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Irish red beer
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 to 400°F, set up for indirect grilling. Combine the Butcher BBQ Savory Pecan Seasoning, thyme, marjoram and rosemary in a spice grinder or mortar grind until fine. If grinding your own pork, combine the pork with the seasonings and grind to desired consistency. Otherwise, just combine the spices with the already ground pork and mix briefly to distribute evenly.
- Combine the seasoned pork, eggs, breadcrumbs and beer in a bowl and mix until the mixture becomes tacky.
- Lay out your puff pastry and cut into 3 strips, along the fold lines. Roll each strip out to about 12” long. Grab about 2 tbsp of sausage and roll into a log in your hands. Place the log on the puff pastry, on the end closest to you. Press slightly to stick. Roll away from you. When the sausage is fully encased, cut the pastry, leaving about half inch overlap. Brush a thin layer of water on that half inch to seal the pastry. Place seam side down on a parchment lined sheet pan. Repeat with the process. You should end up with nine rolls.
- Using a sharp knife, score the tops of each roll with two thin slices. Whisk together your second egg and about 1 teaspoon of water. Brush the tops of the rolls with the egg-wash.
- Bake the sausage rolls on the second shelf until the pastry has puffed up and is a light golden color. The internal temperature needs to be at least 160°F. Be sure to check using a digital thermometer, like the Maverick PT-75. Don’t worry if your sausage ends up closer to 180°F before the pastry is done. The pastry will allow the sausage to retain its moisture.
- Serving Size
- 7.65 oz
- per serving
- 59 grams
- 29 grams
- 36 grams
- 432 milligrams