Braised Beer Brats
Chef Tom grinds, seasons, and cases some delicious beer brats with one of our favorite beers, New Belgium Fat Tire.
LEM Backwoods 32-35 mm Natural Hog Casings
- 4 lb ground pork
1 packet LEM Backwoods Bratwurst Seasoning
- 5 oz New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
House of Q House Rub
- 36 fl oz (3 bottles) New Belgium Fat Tire Amber Ale
- 12 brat buns
Kansas Flavor Jalapeño Mustard
For the Bratwurst:
- Soak the LEM Backwoods 32-35 mm Natural Hog Casings in room temperature water for 45-60 minutes. Rinse the insides of the casing by running water through them. Store in the refrigerator.
To make the sausage, whisk together the LEM Backwoods Bratwurst Seasoning and Fat Tire. Then combine with the ground pork. Mix well in the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until the mixture becomes tacky and holds together.
- Transfer to a sausage stuffer. Place the casings on the horn. Tie off the end and stuff the sausage in one long spiral. Don’t stuff too full. You need to leave room for twisting the individual links. Tie off the other end of the casing. Measure the length of one link (about 6”) and pinch the casing. Measure another link. Pinch again. Twist the link between the two pinches. Repeat the “pinch, pinch, twist” process until all links are formed.
- Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 pellet grill to 400°F, set up for direct grilling with GrillGrates. Place a Lodge Logic 7 quart dutch oven in the cooker to preheat. When the pan is hot add the butter and onions and season with House of Q House Rub. Cook 10-15 minutes, covered, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened.
- Add the bratwursts and 3 bottles of Fat Tire. Cook uncovered until the internal temperature of the sausages reaches about 140°F, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the brats to the GrillGrates and grill to achieve grill marks on all sides. Remove from the grill when the brats have color and the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Serve on toasted buns with the onions from the beer braise and Kansas Flavor Jalapeño Mustard.
- Serving Size
- 12.85 oz
- per serving
- 38 grams
- 36 grams
- 7 grams
- 427 milligrams