Add a touch of barbecue to your holiday dinners with this chile brined, butter injected, spatchcock turkey, smoked on the Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Grill. Barbecue Smoked Turkey is sure to be a hit this holiday season!
Barbecue Smoked Turkey
Experience a delicious twist on holiday turkey this season with our recipe for Barbecue Smoked Turkey! The turkey is marinated in chile brine and injected with butter, then slowly smoked to elevate the flavor
1 (10-12 lb) whole turkey
Sweetwater Spice Smoked Apple Spice Brine Concentrate
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Flaked Finishing Salt, to taste
1/3 cup Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Flaked Finishing Salt
- 1/3 cup coarse black pepper
1/3 cup R Butts R Smokin’ Butt Kickin’ Chicken
- 1 cup cranberry juice
1/4 cup House of Q Sugar & Spice BBQ Sauce
Spatchcock the turkey. To take the backbone out, place the bird breast side down. Cut along both sides of the backbone with poultry shears, from one opening of the cavity to the other. Make a cut in the center of the breastbone (cavity side). Flip the turkey over and press down on the breasts to flatten.
Place the turkey in a 22 quart Briner Bucket. Add the Sweetwater Spice Smoked Apple Spice Brine Concentrate brine concentrate and add water, according to the instructions, to cover the bird completely. Brine in the refrigerator 1 hour per pound, or overnight.
- Remove the turkey from the brine. Place on a sheet pan or in a foil pan. Remove excess liquid from the surface with a paper towel.
To prepare the injection, combine the butter, fresh herbs and garlic in a Lodge 8” Cast Iron Skillet. Bring to a gentle simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes to infuse the flavors. Remove from the heat. Strain the butter into a Marinade Injection Shaker. Taste and season with the smoked salt, to taste.
- Mix the rub ingredients together. Season the turkey over the skin and on all surfaces. Transfer the bird to a foil lined sheet pan, skin side up.
When the butter has cooled to room temperature, fill a marinade injector with the butter, and inject the butter into the turkey, starting with the breasts, then the thighs and legs.
Preheat the Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Grill to 300° F, set up for smoking. Fill an A-MAZE-N Tube Smoker with cherry pellets and place on the bottom left side of the grill grates. Light the end with a torch. Blow out the flame and let the pellets smoke.
- Place the sheet pan and turkey on the second shelf of the grill and smoke until the internal temperature reaches 160° F in the breasts, about 2 hours. Remove from the grill, tent with foil and rest 20 minutes before serving.
To make the sauce, place the cranberry juice in a Lodge 8” Cast Iron Skillet over medium high heat and reduce down to 1/4 cup. Turn the heat off. Whisk in the House of Q Sugar & Spice BBQ Sauce.
- Serve the Barbecue Smoked Turkey with the cranberry barbecue sauce on the side, for dipping.
- Serving Size
- 4 oz
- per serving
- 12 grams
- 38 grams
- 69 grams
- 1297 milligrams