Rancho Gordo Rio Zape Beans
Discover the foundation of Rancho Gordo with their Rio Zape Beans, the classic heirloom variety that started it all. Renowned for its nuanced flavor profile reminiscent of Pintos, this rarity from the pinto-family stands out with hints of chocolate and coffee, making it a perennial favorite and a highly requested bean.
The inspiration for Rancho Gordo struck when their founder, Steve, indulged in a bowl of simply cooked Rio Zapes that left an indelible mark on his palate. Enthralled by the multifaceted taste experience, he recalls detecting traces of coffee and chocolate, paired with a velvety texture like no other. This single bite was the catalyst for his journey into the world of heirloom varieties.
Dating back to 1935, Rio Zape beans, also known as Hopi String beans, were unearthed in the Ancestral Pueblo cliff dwellings of the Zuni Pueblo in New Mexico. Fast forward to the 1960s, when archaeologists uncovered them in a sealed tomb in Rio Zape, Durango, Mexico, believed to have been sealed around 600 AD. A bean with a mysterious history and an undeniable allure!
- Pot Beans: Showcase the rich flavor and velvety texture of Rio Zape Beans in hearty pot bean dishes.
- Soup: Elevate your soups with the distinctive taste of this classic heirloom bean.
- Dips: Craft savory dips that highlight the unique notes of chocolate and coffee in Rio Zape Beans.
- Refried Beans: Create indulgent refried beans with a depth of flavor that sets them apart.
- Casseroles: Incorporate Rio Zape Beans into casseroles for a delightful twist on classic dishes.
Similar to: San Franciscano, Pinto, Good Mother Stallard
Embark on a culinary journey with Rio Zape Beans, connecting with a bean that not only carries a rich history but also promises a distinctive and unparalleled taste experience. Transform your kitchen creations and savor the legacy of this extraordinary heirloom variety.
Customer Reviews & Questions
Our experts are here to guide you through your purchase.