Strip Loin Roast has been a favorite cut of beef for our team for years. Typically, this roast is cut into New York Strip (or Kansas City Strip) steaks, but in our opinion, reverse searing it whole is where it’s at.
In this video, Chef Tom will show you how to trim, season and cook a strip loin roast to perfection, and creates a fantastic Poblano Crème Fraîche to serve with it.
Reverse Seared Strip Loin Roast with Poblano Crème Fraîche
Rated 5.0 stars by 1 users
Let Chef Tom guide you through the perfect roast dinner - from trimming the strip loin to marinating with delicious seasonings, and finishing with a Poblano Crème Fraîche that will wow your guests. Experience culinary excellence right in your own kitchen!
- 1 whole strip loin
R Butts R Smokin' R Beef Rub
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp cultured buttermilk
- 1 poblano pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp lime juice
Noble Saltworks Hickory Smoked Flaked Salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Poblano Crème Fraîche:
To Make the Poblano Crème Fraîche
- Combine the heavy cream and buttermilk in a plastic bottle or mason jar. Shake well for 10 seconds. Let sit at room temperature overnight. The next day the mixture will be thickened.
- Place the poblano on the grill over direct high heat. Blacken on all sides. Place in a zip-top bag and allow to steam for 15 minutes. Remove from the bag. Remove the seeds and stem. Peel the skin off. Mince the remaining flesh.
- Place the crème fraîche in a bowl. Add the minced poblano, garlic and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
To Make the Strip Loin Roast
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Grill to 250°F set up for indirect grilling, with GrillGrates. Rub the surface of the loin with a thin layer of vegetable or olive oil. Season with R Butts R Smokin’ R Beef Rub. Allow the rub to attach by resting the meat for 5-10 minutes (the rub will begin to look wet as it pulls moisture out of the meat).
Smoke the loin roast on the second shelf until the internal temperature reaches 105°F. Remove the loin from the cooker and cover loosely with foil. Turn the cooker up to 450°F. Using heat-resistant leather BBQ gloves, move the GrillGrates aside. Remove the door from your two-piece diffuser (or the entire diffuser), and return the GrillGrates to their place over the fire box.
- After about 5 minutes, the grill will have come up to temp. Place the loin roast on the GrillGrates. Grill on both sides to achieve nice grill marks, cooking until internal temperature reaches 125°F (check the internal temperature with an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the roast). Pull, rest for 10 minutes, and slice to serve.
- Serve with the Poblano Crème Fraîche.
- Serving Size
- 9.26 oz
- per serving
- 5.3 grams
- 100 grams
- 76 grams
- 282 milligrams