Fresh outta yeast? Don’t have much time? Chef Britt shows you how to make quick bread using an unexpected ingredient: BBQ sauce!
Quick Bread Recipe
Yield: one 10-inch Cast Iron Skillet, approximately 8-12 servings
- Prepare your cast iron by spraying pan spray and lining it with parchment paper. This step is optional, especially if your cast iron is very well-seasoned, but consider it insurance.
- In a large bowl, sift together your dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl or container, combine your buttermilk and Bean Buddy then add all at once to your dry mixture.
- Mix until just combined, then transfer to your prepared cast iron skillet. Wet your hands and even out the dough into the pan.
- Bake at 350°F in a Yoder Smokers Pellet Grill, or an oven for approximately 35 minutes, rotating as needed.
**Recipe Notes: This recipe is versatile in what you can use from your pantry. You can substitute all-purpose flour, or use any type of bread flour. For the buttermilk, you can make substitutions with other cultured or acidified dairy. The best rise and texture comes from buttermilk, but if you're in a pinch, you can thin out yogurt or sour cream with some milk, and add a small amount of lemon juice or vinegar. As for the Bean Buddy ingredient, if you decide to substitute a different BBQ sauce, it must be overtly sweet and thick, similar to pure molasses.
Items in this Recipe