Grilled Salmon Shawarma Wrap
- By Tom Jackson
- Jul 22, 2022
Chef Tom fires up the Primo Ceramic Grill for a Grilled Salmon Shawarma Wrap featuring scratch-made shawarma marinated salmon cooked over lump charcoal and stuffed into pita with fresh veggies and creamy Tzatziki!
- 4 each 8 oz portions (2 lb total) salmon filets, skin on, descaled
- 2-3 cups red leaf lettuce, shredded
- 2 dozen slices Campari tomatoes
- 2 dozen slices small cucumbers
- 1 cup red onion, small dice
- 8 spinach wraps
For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
- 3/4 cup Saica Sicilian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Cattleman’s Grill Lone Star Brisket Rub
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
For the Tzatziki:
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, small dice
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 1 tbsp Saica Sicilian extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Infused Sea Salt, to taste
To make the shawarma marinade, combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
Place your salmon portions in a gallon zip top bag. Add the Shawarma marinade and fully coat the salmon. Marinate in the refrigerator overnight, ideally 18-24 hours.
Build a small hot coal bed in one half of the Primo Ceramic Grill, using lump charcoal. Stabilize the temperature at 400ºF, set up for direct grilling.
Remover the salmon from the marinade. Wipe off excess marinade. Place on the grill, skin side down, over direct heat.
While the salmon cooks, make the Tzatziki. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Taste and adjust salt level as necessary.
| You might also enjoy: Grilled Chicken Caesar Wrap
Grill the salmon until the skin begins to char, then flip to the flesh side and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 135ºF-140ºF, about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the grill.
Tear open the pita halfway around the flatbread. Stuff the filling of the wrap inside the layers of the pita. Start with sliced cucumber and tomato. Top with shredded lettuce and red onion. Break up the filets of salmon and place on the lettuce. Crumble the crunchy skin over the salmon and top with the Tzatziki. Close the pita around the filling and roll into a wrap. No need to fold the ends, as the filling is already incased in the pita layers.
| You might also enjoy: Salmon & Avocado Eggs Benedict
Finish the wrap with a quick crisp on the grill. Serve warm or cold with extra Tzatziki for dipping.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Primo Oval Large Charcoal All-In-One (Heavy-Duty Stand, Side Shelves, Ash Tool and Grate Lifter)$1,899.00
- Cattleman's Grill Lone Star Brisket RubAs low as
- Kamado Joe Fire Starters$12.99
- Fireboard Spark Instant-Read Thermometer$149.00
- Chef Works Bronx Bib Apron$39.99
- ATBBQ New Era 9Fifty Flat-bill Snapback Hat$29.99Out of stock