- By Tom Jackson
- Sep 15, 2020
If you’re looking to make tacos, burritos, rice bowls or even a breakfast scramble, then you need these Grilled Carnitas in your life! Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill and turns a Boston Butt pork shoulder into mouth watering Grilled Carnitas.
Grilled Carnitas Recipe
Yield: about 12 servings
For the carnitas:
- 4 lbs Boston butt pork shoulder, diced into 2” chunks
- 1/2 cup lard
- 1/4 cup Cattleman’s Grill Mexicano Seasoning
- 2 tbsp Flavolcano Smoky Red Pepper Hot Sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- juice of 2 oranges
- 4 cups vegetable stock
For the tacos:
- 12 small tortillas
- Mexican Crema (or sour cream)
- Queso fresco
For the Pico de Gallo:
- 1/2 cup tomato, small dice
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, small dice
- 1/2 cup jalapeño, minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 2-3 tbsp lime juice
- Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt, to taste
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640 Pellet Grill to 425ºF.
Combine all carnitas ingredients, except the vegetable stock, in a Lodge Logic 6 Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Mix ingredients by hand. Add just enough vegetable stock to almost cover the ingredients (3 cups).
Place the dutch oven in the cooker, uncovered. Cook until the pork is tender enough to shred, about 3 hours.
To make the Pico de Gallo, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Check on the pork occasionally. If/when the liquid level gets low add more vegetable stock, one cup at a time. You don’t want the liquid to cook out completely, or the bottom will scorch. However, allowing the pork to be exposed on top will nicely brown the meat.
You might also enjoy: Carne Asada Burrito
When the pork is tender, remove from the grill.
Crisp the carnitas in their own fat and juices in a Lodge 10” Cast Iron Skillet. Place the Grilled Carnitas in tortillas with Pico de Gallo, queso fresco and crema.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Shun Kanso 6.5" Hollow Ground Nakiri Knife$129.95Special Price
- BBQr's Delight Wood Pellets, 20lb BagAs low as
- All Things Barbecue Black T-ShirtsAs low as