Wanna make the best smashed potatoes of your life? Check out Chef Britt’s techniques for creating these gold nuggets that hit every level of your taste buds!
Salt & Vinegar Crispy Smashed Potatoes
Yields 4-6 servings
- 1 lb. Fingerling Potatoes, or other small, waxy variety of potato
- Kosmos Q Salt & Vinegar Wing Dust, as needed
- 1/4 cup (or more as needed) Avocado Oil, or other neutral vegetable oil suitable for frying
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Boil the potatoes until barely fork-tender. Smaller varieties of fingerlings will take less time, about 10 minutes total.
- Cool the potatoes completely either in an ice bath or set in the fridge for a few hours minimum. You can do this up to five days in advance.
- Prepare your Yoder Smokers YS640s pellet grill by removing the door to the 2-piece diffuser plate. If you are working with a single-piece diffuser, remove the entire diffuser. Set the temperature to 400℉ so pellets are constantly feeding into the firebox.
- Place your 12-inch Lodge cast iron skillet over the firebox and preheat your skillet.
- Add a ¼”-thick layer of avocado oil to the pan and allow to heat to approximately 350-375℉.
- Take your boiled and cooled potatoes, and smash each using the bottom of a flat & sturdy saucepan, bowl, or plate. Smash the potatoes to about a ½”-thickness.
- Add your smashed potatoes in a single layer to the hot oil, and allow them to cook with the grill lid closed for 5-8 minutes on each side. Exposed innards of the potatoes should be a deep golden-brown color when properly fried.
- Remove the potatoes and place them onto a paper towel-lined sheet tray. Finish your potatoes with your desired amount of Kosmos Q Salt & Vinegar Wing Dust – a little goes a long way, but a lot sure does taste great!