Chicken Tikka Masala
- By Britt Shoffner
- Mar 5, 2020
Chef Britt fires up the grill for a big batch of Chicken Tikka Masala: a flavor-packed curry with char-grilled chicken! This dish is a surefire winner!
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Yield: 8 servings
- 4-5 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs (chicken breasts may be substituted)
- 1/2 tube of Entube Curry Paste
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 2 cups plain full-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Jacobsen Kosher Sea Salt, plus more for seasoning
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 12 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons ginger, grated
- 1 large white or yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1 - 28 oz can of Ciao Whole Peeled Tomatoes
- Oakridge Seasoning Habanero Death Dust, to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cilantro, rough chop
To serve: cooked jasmine rice or naan
- Create a marinade by combining yogurt, 1/2 cup lemon juice, and 1/4 cup Jacobsen Kosher Sea Salt.
- Score chicken thighs and submerge them in the yogurt marinade. Allow chicken to marinate for 4-6 hours. (*see recipe note)
- Start creating your curry. In a Lodge Dutch Oven heat ghee over medium heat, add sliced onions and cook until softened. Then add 4-5 Tablespoons Entube Curry Paste, 1/2 Tablespoon garam masala, grated garlic, and grated ginger. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add the entire can of Ciao Whole Peeled Tomatoes and crush the tomatoes with spatula or spoon to release more juices. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and keep warm until chicken is ready to add.
- Set your grill up for high-heat, direct grilling. Take the chicken out of the marinade and wipe excess yogurt off the surface. Grill the chicken until grill/char marks are present.
- Take grilled chicken onto a cutting board and cut into 1-inch cubes. Then transfer the chicken to the curry pot to simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the tomatoes have broken down completely.
- Stir in heavy cream and taste. As an option, add Oakridge Habanero Death Dust to your desired heat level. Season to taste.
- Serve tikka masala with jasmine rice or naan and top with cilantro.
*Recipe notes: If you are wanting to marinate the chicken overnight, omit the lemon juice from the yogurt marinade to extend the marination time.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Lodge 6-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch OvenAs low as
- Napoleon Grills Prestige 500 Gas Grill with Infrared Side and Rear Burners, Stainless SteelAs low as