- By Tom Jackson
- Mar 28, 2023
This Tandoori Chicken is one of Chef Tom's new favorites; and for good reason. Marinaded in greek yogurt and a shipload of spices, this chicken is grilled on the Yoder Smokers Adjustable Flat Top Charcoal Grill and combined with homemade naan. Mix it with marinated vegetables & a creamy avocado raita and you have yourself a delicious Indian delicacy.
- 1 each (5 lb) whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, small dice
- 1/4 cup Colonial Chile Oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt
- 2 tbsp Garam masala
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro stems, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger paste (grated on microplane)
- 2 tbsp fresh garlic paste (grated on microplane)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
Avocado Raita: y=2.5C
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro (leaves and/or stems)
- 1/4 cup reserved marinade
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 avocado
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup cucumber, grated
- 1 each serrano pepper, minced
- Jacobsen Salt Co. Kosher Sea Salt, to taste
- 2 roma tomatoes, halved, seeded, sliced thin
- 1 each cucumber, halved, seeded, sliced thin
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup Saice Silician Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 each clove garlic, grated on microplane
- 2 tsp Cattleman’s Grill California Tri-Tip Seasoning
- Basmati rice
Combine all marinade ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Reserve 1/2 cup of the marinade for the Avocado Raita.
Remove the skin from your chicken pieces. Slice deep score marks into the chicken pieces.
Place the chicken in a medium sized mixing bowl. Pour the marinade over the chicken and massage into the meat. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to marinade overnight.
| You might also enjoy: How to Make Naan
To make the Avocado Raita, combine the yogurt, spinach, cilantro, reserved marinade, lemon juice and avocado in a blender. Blend until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and add the cucumber and Serrano. Taste and season with salt as needed.
| You might also enjoy: Chicken Spiedini
Light two chimneys of lump charcoal in the grate of the Yoder Smokers Adjustable Flattop Charcoal Grill. When hot, dump the charcoal on one half of the grate, leaving the other half of the grill open for indirect grilling.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the grate, directly over the charcoal. Grill until lightly charred in spots, then flip and grill the opposite side. When you have all of the color and char that you want on the chicken, move to the indirect side of the grill and continue cooking until the internal temperature of the breasts reaches 155ºF, and the thighs/legs/wings reaches 175ºF. Remove from the grill.
Dice and/or shred the chicken. Serve with warm naan, marinated veggies, avocado raita and basmati rice.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Yoder Smokers Heavy Duty Cooking Grate for Charcoal GrillsAs low as
- Chile Colonial Chile Crunch Condiment$13.95Out of stock
- Cattleman's Grill California Tri-Tip SeasoningAs low as
- Kamado Joe Fire Starters$12.99
- Vitamix A2500 Ascent Series BlenderAs low as
- Vitamix 12-Cup Food Processor Attachment with SELF-DETECT®$199.95
- Maverick Propane Torch$29.99
- Boos Block R02 Cherry Cutting Board, 24" x 18" x 1.5"$197.95
- Wusthof Classic 8" Chef's Knife$170.00
- All Things Barbecue Nitrile GlovesAs low as