Chef Tom shares his recipe for Homemade Egg Nog!
Homemade Egg Nog
- 3 cups half n half
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped out of the bean
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- Noble Saltworks Whiskey Barrel Smoked Salt
- 4 eggs, white and yolks separated
- 1/4 cup white sugar, divided (1 tbsp for egg whites, 3 tbsp for yolks)
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Zest of 1 orange, for garnish
- Noble Saltworks Maple Smoked Turbinado Sugar, for garnish
Heat half and half, vanilla bean & seeds, fresh grated nutmeg and Noble Saltworks Whiskey Barrel Smoked Salt in a small sauce pot. Don’t scald, just until steaming. Hold hot for about 5 minutes.
Whips yolks and sugar until thickened and lightened in color.
Temper milk mixture into the eggs, whisking constantly.
Transfer the custard to a bowl or storage container and chill in an ice bath until room temperature (or colder).
Whip egg whites to soft peaks in stand mixer, high speed (whisk attachment). Lower speed to medium and add sugar. Return to high speed. Whip to stiff peaks.
Lower speed to medium low. Slowly pour the custard mixture into the bowl of egg whites with the mixer running. When the mixture smoothes out, add maple syrup, bourbon and rum and stir to combine. Transfer to a 2 quart storage container or mason jar and chill until serving. Shake well before serving.
Serve nog over ice in smoked glass and garnish with orange zest, nutmeg & Noble Saltworks Maple Smoked Turbinado Sugar.
Purchase Items in this Recipe