Classic Beef Chili with Ground Brisket
- By Tom Jackson
- Oct 2, 2020
Nothing says “Fall” like a bowl of chili and a football game. Today Chef Tom fires up the Kamado Joe Ceramic Charcoal Grill for a charcoal and wood smoked Classic Beef Chili with ground brisket.
Classic Beef Chili with Ground Brisket Recipe
Yield: 10 (1 cup) servings
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef brisket
- 8 oz smoked beef sausage, diced
- 1 tbsp Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning
- 1 tbsp Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 cups yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup poblano pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup jalapeños, diced
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 (28 oz) can Ciao Italian Peeled Tomatoes
- 2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup amber beer
- Sharp cheddar, for garnish
- Sweet onion, diced, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
Build a hot charcoal base in the Kamado Joe Classic III ceramic charcoal grill and stabilize the temperature at 400ºF, set up for direct grilling. Place a Lodge 7 Quart Dutch Oven on the grill grates to preheat.
When the cast iron is hot, add the ground brisket and smoked beef sausage. Stir in the Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning, Jacobsen Salt Co. Black Garlic Salt and cumin. Cook until the meat is browned, stirring occasionally.
Add the onion, poblano and jalapeño. Cook until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.
Stir in the garlic and cook for about one minute, until the garlic becomes fragrant.
Add the Ciao Italian Peeled Tomatoes, kidney beans and chipotles in adobo. Stir and break up the tomatoes.
Add the beef stock and beer and bring to a simmer.
Carefully remove the dutch oven from the grill. Remove the grates and add a fist sized chunk of hickory wood to the coal bed. Add the diffuser plate to create an indirect cooking setup. Return the grates to the grill and the dutch oven to the grates.
You might also enjoy: Texas Brisket Chili
Stabilize the temperature at 300ºF and smoke for one hour, or to your desired consistency.
Remove the Classic Beef Chili from the grill and serve one cup portions topped with diced onion, sharp cheddar and sour cream.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Cattleman's Grill Competition Smoking Wood Chunks, Cherry$24.99Out of stock
- Wusthof Classic IKON 8" Chef's Knife$200.00