Bacon Wrapped Scalloped Potatoes
- By Tom Jackson
- Nov 4, 2022
Chef Tom fires up the Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to cook up a skillet of Bacon Wrapped Scalloped Potatoes in the Yoder Smokers Wood Fired Oven!
- 1 1/2 lb classic cut bacon
- 2 lb white and/or red potatoes, sliced 1/8” rounds
- 1 large (12 oz) sweet yellow onion, sliced 1/8”
- Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust All-Purpose Seasoning
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 oz gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
Preheat your Yoder Smokers YS640s Pellet Grill to 400ºF with the Yoder Smokers Wood Fired Oven installed.
Fan out the slices of bacon in the bottom of a Lodge 10” Cast Iron Skillet. Start by placing one end of a slice of bacon in the center of the skillet and lay out the slice so the other end is outside the skillet with half of the slice outside the skillet so it can be folded back over the top of the potatoes. Repeat this process until the entire skillet is covered in bacon.
Layout one third of your sliced potatoes over the bacon and spread evenly in a thin layer. Sprinkle one third of your cheeses over the sliced potatoes, then one third of your fresh thyme. Shake Cattleman’s Grill Trail Dust All-Purpose Seasoning over the top. Repeat this process until all ingredients are inside the skillet in three layers.
| You might also enjoy: Twice Baked Potatoes
Fold the bacon overhanging the skillet back over the top of the potatoes to fully enclose the scalloped potatoes.
Transfer the skillet to the Yoder Smokers Wood Fired Oven. Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes, then uncover and cook til bacon is crisp on top and potatoes are softened, about 60-75 minutes total cook time. If the bacon begins to get too brown and crispy on top, move the skillet from inside the wood-fired oven to the top of the wood fired oven to finish cooking the potatoes through.
| You might also enjoy: Bacon Wrapped Turkey Roulade
Place a towel or thermal gloved hand over the top of the bacon wrapped scalloped potatoes and tilt the skillet over a heat proof bowl to pour off excess bacon fat.
Let cool for 20-30 minutes. Turn out onto a plate, then flip onto a cutting board. Slice into 12 wedges for serving.
Purchase Items in this Recipe
- Cattleman's Grill Trail Dust All Purpose RubAs low as
- BBQr's Delight Wood Pellets, 20lb BagAs low as
- Yoder Smokers Wood Fired Oven, YS480 and YS640$499.00
- Lodge 10" Cast Iron Skillet$24.95
- Boos Block R02 Cherry Cutting Board, 24" x 18" x 1.5"$197.95
- Shun Premier Grey Chef's 8"$199.95
- Chef Works Bronx Bib Apron$39.99